Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Pro Upgrade Rejection (reinstallation)

I successfully upgraded from Win 7 x64 Home Premium (a new PC from reputable supplier with Windows CD) to Win 7 Professional (purchased from 'Windows Professional Key') in February 2013.

NB The Win 7 upgrade web page said in 2013:

"Will I be able to use the key in the future again (in case PC crash)?
    Sure, our Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional Anytime Upgrade product key works for one computer permanently. You can re-activate the software anytime."

The PC suffered a Cryptowall attack a few days ago, requiring a wholesale reinstallation of Win 7/Pro upgrade and various software over several days. As far as I can tell, the system is now functioning as expected.

Today, however, Windows produced a dialog seeking Windows Activation, but the upgrade activation key was rejected, with Windows saying:

"The product key you typed has been blocked from use by Microsoft" and offered several options, including "Contact Microsoft to help resolve the problem".

This leads to a toll-free phone number in the UK (0800 018 8354), but two separate attempts to enter a 5-digit number via the phone keypad, supplied by the Microsoft phone system, have failed due to the entered number/s not being recognised.

Has anyone encountered a similar difficulty and resolved it successfully, ideally without reinstalling anything ? TIA

Dave.
    Last edited by purdyd; 2015-08-09 at 13:00.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would contact MS again but using tech support to explain your problem.

They may want to hook up to your machine so that they can see what is happening, but this is standard practice.

Entering Microsoft into www.saynoto0870.com will give you a choice of numbers to use but I tend to use 0118 909 7800 and ask for customer or tech support and once the hook up has been established, you can hang up and speak to each other through the message box.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

purdyd (2015-08-09)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I tend to use 0118 909 7800 and ask for customer or tech support ...
    Many thanks - I'll try it tomorrow.

Dave.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    a) Tried suggested Microsoft UK phone (0118 909 7800) - listened to ~10 mins of muzak whilst waiting for Microsoft Tech Support to answer.

b) Toll-free phone number for activations now functioning (0800 018 8354), but it ultimately rejected the code input presented by Windows Activation (in response to 9 blocks of 6-digit codes).

c) Microsoft Answer Tech (Online Chat): “The ... Product key is blocked. and When its blocked we can do nothing about it ... you need to purchase new Windows 7 ... try to purchase from our Microsoft store website ... So you can be secure”

Unfortunately a Windows Anytime Upgrade dialog says: “We're sorry, Windows Anytime Upgrade is no longer available for online purchase in your country or region.”

Dave.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would have asked them why it had been blocked and if MS has blocked it then they should have been able to unblock it or reissued you with another one when you previously had a valid key.

I contacted MS today but that 0118 number just kept ringing so I used the number for Direct Services and asked to be transferred to Sales, just to find that MS is no longer selling anything Win 7.

Given MS's arrogance, I'm not sure if Trading Standards could help out with this, but if MS has blocked it then you are entitled to know the reason why and why it can't be reactivated or another key issued in lieu.

As the key has been blocked then I doubt the following cmds run from an elevated cmd prompt would work, but you could give them a try after creating a restore point.

net stop sppsvc

(wait until the service has stopped before entering the following lines)

CD %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro aming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

REN tokens.dat tokens.bar

net start sppsvc

slui.exe

After a couple of seconds the Windows Activation dialog will appear.

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your Key, you could try yours again and then reboot.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-10 at 07:26.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ... if MS has blocked it then you are entitled to know the reason why and why it can't be reactivated or another key issued in lieu...
    Many thanks for the feedback.

Do you think the activation key from this might work (from a UK vendor):

'Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1 Full Install Version COA Product Key'

The vendor has suggested a need to back up drivers and files then format hard drive prior to the new install - but I haven't got the time (or energy) to repeat another reinstallation !

Dave.

Update - The vendor has just clarified: "You must make sure that your hard drive is either new, or wiped/formatted. This software will not install if there is an existing Operating System on your machine."
    Last edited by purdyd; 2015-08-10 at 11:55. Reason: Vendor feedback

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's another of those OEM installs.

I saw one advertised as coming from a decommissioned machine - not sure how that one works.

I still think that you have some redress over this.

Were those commands any good ?

Thanks
    I normally do not trumpet other forums, however, over in www dot seven forums dot com -- there are a couple of folks [Jumanji I think is one name] who really really know how to legally get Windows 7 to properly acknowledge its validity and authenticitiy.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

purdyd (2015-08-10)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's okay to post a link to another forum's thread for the purposes of a fix, so perhaps you could post that link - but as it has been blocked and as long as MS isn't fobbing off, then I'm not sure there will be a fix.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ... I still think that you have some redress over this. Were those commands any good ?
    I'm drafting a letter to Trading Standards - I understand Microsoft wishing to protect IP rights, but the proposed remedy seems unreasonable (not so much any further payment, but the non-trivial work-load associated with another re-installation).

Dave.
    Last edited by purdyd; 2015-08-12 at 04:34.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've written to Trading Standards (cc. Consumers' Association), citing breach of vendor terms & conditions and unreasonable remedy.

A proposed remedy is the supply by Microsoft of a specific explanation for the withdrawal of upgrade activation and also the supply of a replacement upgrade key.

I've also raised the issue of at least one suspect third-party vendor web site (affiliated to the original vendor), claiming Microsoft Certification, but which appears to be still operating.

Dave.

Update: e-mailed response "Trading Standards unfortunately no longer deals with complaints of this nature. The Citizens Advice service deal with such matters..."

So I have forwarded the complaint to local Citizens Advice & Law Centre.
    Last edited by purdyd; 2015-08-12 at 06:36. Reason: Citizens Advice referral

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have phoned them up in the past to see if I had a case and they've proceeded from there after giving me a Case No. when I have, but a hard copy is always something to remind you of your original complaint.

Hope it works out for you and I'm sure I won't be the only one looking forward to see how you get on.

You often see vendors proclaiming MS Affiliation etc. and quite often MS know nothing about them, but if that company is getting the bucks instead of them, I'm sure they will look into it and if necessary issue a desist order.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by purdyd View Post
    I successfully upgraded from Win 7 x64 Home Premium (a new PC from reputable supplier with Windows CD) to Win 7 Professional (purchased from 'Windows Professional Key') in February 2013....
    Are you sure you are using the Win7 Pro upgrade key and not the HP key your disk came with?

If yes, then MS is definitely ripping you off.

Have you tried installing the HP from disk including the original product key (which should be deactivated, but...) and if it works, then applying the upgrade key?

Have you been able to borrow any copy of 64-bit Win7 Pro disk from someone (retail, upgrade, OEM non-volume license) and install it and then use your Pro key?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks - yes, yes, and no (re-installation is last resort).

Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    If yes, then MS is definitely ripping you off.
    No, a vendor called "Windows Professional Key" ripped him off.

Dave, Why did you buy from them instead of Microsoft?

(using the Anytime Upgrade within Windows 7)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast