Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

Will Microsoft let me have Google search or not?

Just reset IE 11 to defaults in Win 7 with all of the boxes checked and in setting everything back up, noticed I no longer had Google as my search provider and of course, it is no longer in the list.

Went to Installed Updates to uninstall KB3038314 only to find I no longer had it installed.

Me thinks MS got wise to this workaround and superseded it with another KB without telling anyone and when Disk Cleanup is run as an admin, 3038314 will have been removed.

What I'd like to call them would probably just end up as a load of asterisks on here, so I won't bother but I'm sure my feelings on this will be quite clear
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-09 at 10:28.

Thanks
    If you set IE11 to default, the default is Bing, so no surprise that Google is now missing. Go to Tools>Manage add-ons>Search Providers. Click on it to open. Right down at the bottom of the Window, you will see "Find more search providers."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've also recently set IE 11 to defaults on another Win 7 machine and Google was still there listed as the default search provider.

I know how to add Google to the search providers but as I said in my opening post, it is no longer listed as an option.

This was initially caused by KB3038314 and to get Google back as an option to add, you first had to uninstall this KB - add Google back and then reinstall the KB - the problem is, it is no longer listed in Installed Updates so I don't know which KB is now responsible for removing Google as a search option from that list of options.

That's why I think MS are a load of illegitimates !

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Sorry, Google does it no better, actually it does worse. There are Google apps that they chose not to make available for Windows Phone or Windows 8 - not that I want them, I will add, but some users do.

Each company protects their own interests, it's really that simple and Microsoft, in quite a few ways, is now the underdog, when compared to Google.
    I will take Microsoft over Google any day, and I do use Bing instead of Google search. Hit them where they get the most money from (search), that's my personal choice.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's still nice to have the choice though.

Didn't MS have to put that Browser Choice icon onto the Desktop so that users weren't restricted to IE ?

For me - denying users the choice of search engines is an unfair practice and wonder what the Federal gov. or the EU would make of it.

I know there are other search provider choices through Options but to issue a Windows Update to remove Google borders on criminal.

Thanks
    I don't see what the problem is. Following Calimaco's advice leads you to this page which add Goole to the list of servers:
    http://www.iegallery.com/en-us/Search?q=google

I've had Google as my default search provider in IE 11 for ages and it carried over with the Windows 10 upgrade. I have all the updates installed and they haven't messed with this setting.

The Browser choice icon requirement is strictly a European thing. Its not in force in the US.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was able to add Google to my search providers using your link Jerry, but this is what I get when I click on the Options link and always did until I uninstalled KB3038314 but as that is no longer listed as being installed - I don't know what has superseded it to uninstall in its place. http://www.askwoody.com/2015/ie11-pa...rror-80092004/

SrOpt.PNG

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't been offered any new updates for over a week and don't have those that are listed on http://www.askwoody.com/2015/ie11-pa...rror-80092004/ installed but have had over 15 Failures on the Win10 Upgrade offering since 7/30/15, makes it seem like it's being pushed pretty hard.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I was able to add Google to my search providers using your link Jerry, but this is what I get when I click on the Options link and always did until I uninstalled KB3038314 but as that is no longer listed as being installed - I don't know what has superseded it to uninstall in its place. http://www.askwoody.com/2015/ie11-pa...rror-80092004/

SrOpt.PNG
    What Options link?

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd meant the Find more search providers - it was after midnight last night when I posted that and was tired.

I've since had another look at what it gives me and for some reason it defaulted to Pinned Sites but when I clicked on Add-ons I got Google amongst the options.

Remembering back to when that update was released, I still got the option to add Google but the add button was dead until that update was uninstalled.

This laptop was factory reset recently which could account for K3038314 no longer being installed as it was probably withdrawn/superseded because of the problems it had caused - see Woody's link.

As my memory was a bit hazy on exactly what I got at the time of that update and being presented with that snip, thought MS were back up to their old tricks but still don't know why it should default to the Pinned Sites when I'd clicked on Find more search providers - and it's still doing it.

Thanks
    My link takes you directly to the add Google Search page which I got by typing Google in the search box on the Find More Search Providers page. There should have been a search box on the page you got that snip from. The page is for all add ins not just Search Providers.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Find more... link used to take me directly to the attachment, but now I have to click on Add-ons from the menu to get me from the now default Pinned Sites.

AltSrh.PNG

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Use Firefox instead! Certainly better (IMHO) than IE. From what I have read about Edge.......it's still in its infancy...so probably not as accomplished as Firefox.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    Use Firefox instead! Certainly better (IMHO) than IE. From what I have read about Edge.......it's still in its infancy...so probably not as accomplished as Firefox.
    Staying with Win 7 and IE 11 and only use FF to troubleshoot IE as I don't like it.

Thanks
    Just curious, Sudo: Do you know about when Google Search disappeared? If you can narrow down the date, you might be able to figure out, to within a few updates, which update caused the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast