4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I fix this error?

Win 7 Pro, SP-1

When I attempt to open the Task Scheduler, I get an error message (attached), and can't continue. At that point, the only way to get out of that screen is to end the program via the Task Manager.

How do I correct or otherwise delete the offending task?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Les,

SysInternals AutoRuns program has a tab for Scheduled Tasks. If it shows up there it will allow you to disable or delete it. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, it doesn't show in Autoruns (at least, not under Task Scheduler. Any other ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Task Scheduler keeps its list of tasks in a Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

You can delete it from there BUT:
    1. Be sure to make a Registry backup before doing so
    2. I am nervous of giving you this advice without knowing what the task IS !

Thanks
    TaskSchedulerView should show it and allow it to be removed: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/task_scheduler_view.html

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    it doesn't show in Autoruns
    Then the task is badly corrupted and you'll need to use Regedit. The task ID in your picture should be under the path shown in Martin's post and you can then delete it - after exporting the "Tasks" branch to disk, re-install it double click on the REG file.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-16)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow, I have downloaded TaskSchedulerView, but haven't tried it yet. However, unless it shows a different view than Autoruns, I wonder if it will show the corrupted task (I'll try it when I get to the other computer).
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Martin and Paul, thank you for the registry information. I'm not particularly timid about editing the registry (I've done it many times), but I wasn't sure which key this info was in. In any event, I always create a restore point, and run ERUNT, before "hacking" the registry.
    Thanks for the information.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the computer is much more screwed up than I first thought.
    Clicking on the OK button in the error dialogue above brought up another similar dialogue, but with a different task number. As I continued to click the OK button, I continued to get new (and different) error dialogues. After about 18 or 20 of these (all related to the Task Scheduler), I decided that the system was sufficiently hosed to ever repair. And all because I deleted the VAIO Care program, and then tried to re-install it (thank you, Sony!).

So I guess I'll just restore everything from a month-old backup image I made (using Windows Backup, not my Acronis backup). If that won't work, plan B is to use my more recent Acronis backup. Plan C (the Doomsday Plan) would be to reinstall the entire system to factory-new specs, either using the restore partition that came on the hard drive (if I haven't over-written it in the process), or a clean install from the system disk that came with the machine. That would put me back approximately 2 years, but since I don't store any data on this machine, it'll only mean re-installation of a few programs to be up and running again.

Thanks for your help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great news! I finally decided to test the Acronis recovery capability. I had a full backup from 7/29 (made just prior to trying Win 10 on 8/3), and the restoration went smoothly and quickly (only took about 25 minutes). Gotta love Acronis!

Sony, on the other hand, not so much. Deleting VAIO Care (after trying Win 10, and before Sony had released any drivers for Win 10) was what started this whole problem, and they were zero help in fixing it. That's why I wont try Win 10 again until the updated drivers are ready, and I sure as hell won't delete their installed programs unless they're looking over my shoulder.

Now I think I'll go have a drink and relax!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LesF For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good news !
    That's the beauty of Image backups - you don't have to know what was wrong in order to fix it, and you can go off drink coffee (or beer) whilst it is working away.
    My 8 year-old Acronis software has saved me much pain and loss.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    Good news !
    That's the beauty of Image backups - you don't have to know what was wrong in order to fix it, and you can go off drink coffee (or beer) whilst it is working away.
    My 8 year-old Acronis software has saved me much pain and loss.
    I'd say that such a smooth, easy restoration might merit sipping a single malt scotch.