Thread: Monitor blank

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor blank

Not sure which forum this should be in, don’t even know if it’s software or h/ware.

When my wife switched on her old Dell E521 desktop this evening, originally Vista, now win8.1 Pro, the monitor remains blank. I thought it had died, but when switching on, the green light shows for a few seconds, then sturns to amber. Trying the other buttons produces a message that it’s in power saving mode, press any key on keyboard, move the mouse or switch off. I have tried all of these without any success, and have also checked all the connections are OK.

Apart from the monitor, the HDD is considerably louder than usual, suggesting the problem may be with the OS. I have a rescue disk, and have tried switching on whilst pressing F12, then later F8 with no success, and have now run out of ideas.

Any help much appreciated, especially by my wife.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Not sure which forum this should be in, donít even know if itís software or h/ware.

When my wife switched on her old Dell E521 desktop this evening, originally Vista, now win8.1 Pro, the monitor remains blank. I thought it had died, but when switching on, the green light shows for a few seconds, then sturns to amber. Trying the other buttons produces a message that itís in power saving mode, press any key on keyboard, move the mouse or switch off. I have tried all of these without any success, and have also checked all the connections are OK.

Apart from the monitor, the HDD is considerably louder than usual, suggesting the problem may be with the OS. I have a rescue disk, and have tried switching on whilst pressing F12, then later F8 with no success, and have now run out of ideas.

Any help much appreciated, especially by my wife.
    This happened to a friend recently and it was the hard drive and the PC was at the end of its life. Sorry not much help to you but it sounds bad.

Thanks
    You could try downloading a Linux distro (e.g. Mint) and put on a USB stick. You can then boot off that stick and see what it says about your disk. I've done that in the past and was told the disk had problems. I was able to get my data files off the disk (though I did have a backup).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you test the monitor on another machine? Assuming the monitor works it may be either video card, motherboard or power supply.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    You could try downloading a Linux distro (e.g. Mint) and put on a USB stick. You can then boot off that stick and see what it says about your disk. I've done that in the past and was told the disk had problems. I was able to get my data files off the disk (though I did have a backup).
    Thanks, but no success. Downloaded 1.59 GB iso, the system insisted on a DVD rather than usb stick, but I aborted after 90 minutes after calculating it would take 70 hours at 22160 kbpm. When I backed up my data files in the past it never took more than an hour to burn c 4.5 gig.

It was necessary to invoke Task Manager to stop the burn, and even now, some 30 minutes later, itís still not possible to open the DVD tray. Furthermore, there has been a noticeable hum from the machine ever since the burn began.

Hopefully will be back to normal tomorrow.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2015-08-11 at 16:00. Reason: burn, instead of d/l

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ PaulT The monitor worked fine on my machine, but mine wouldn’t on work on the wife’s PC, so I’ll have to take it to a repair shop tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing out the possible faults, as replacing a motherboard or power supply is beyond my level of competence.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is the motherboard. A near neighbour, who is/was a computer pro, has located a second hand MB for £40, and will install it for £20. Apparently new MBs for old pcs are no longer produced. The cheapest new PC he could find is a Lenova without monitor for £150.

My wife is still making up her mind between the repair, a new PC, or the laptop, which has only been used on holiday and as a substitute when one of our machines is out of use.

Thanks to all who replied.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could get a tablet instead of a PC. Portable computing without the bulk.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    She has a tablet, although I don't believe she has ever used it, despite the hours I spent reading all the instructions and setting it up for her. Like me, she probably disliked the fiddly keyboard.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What you need is an app that she want to use on the go, then the tablet will be used.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    You can get a Bluetooth keyboard for her tablet. (I don't have the info handy, and I can't look it up - I'm at work.)