5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ReadyBoost to the rescue

I appear to have made an interesting discovery that, if confirmed, is of General Windows interest, but it seems timelier to report it in the Windows 10 forum.

Under Windows 7 and later, ReadyBoost has a maximum size of 32 GB. If you have a 32 GB or larger flash drive, you can max it out to the full 32 (and if you have USB3 on both drive and port, that may or may not make a difference). A flash drive with a light gives you some indication of activity.

A 32 GB ReadyBoost does what ReadyBoost has always done in the experience of most users: little or nothing. It may blink at you occasionally. It was great in theory, and it is still a good idea for installations with limited resources.

An upgrade install, especially to a hard drive, is resource-hungry. It might test the limit of your resources. The before-and-after picture will show everything plus a Windows.old folder which, in my case, turned out to be the third-largest folder on the drive. (Upgraders must remember to leave enough free space to accommodate it, and all the drive activity, comfortably. It will delete itself after four weeks if you haven’t done so yourself before then, and if you do want to delete it, follow the procedure.)

I used a ReadyBoost of 30 GB for my upgrade install and the thing went nuts. I do not know why, and I am not recommending it until someone who knows what they are doing can test it. The installation was a resounding success, whatever the reason, and ReadyBoost was very busy.

If it really does work, then we will have found one new use for RB, and the experts can try to dream up other scenarios in which it might be handy. The flash drive can go straight back to what you were using it for before, since upgrade installs are something you might have occasion to perform once or twice in the lifetime of a given computer.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-08-10 at 00:04. Reason: Clarification: my installation was a success

Thanks
    Nice work!

ReadyBoost effectively doubles up on the smaller files stored in the paging file, allowing Windows the option of where to load them from - flash drives having much lower access times than HDD's, and Windows will load data from the least busy/fastest available source. So with 3+GB of data to decompress, load into RAM, page out to swap file etc., a big ReadyBoost drive will take a proportion of the workload from the HDD, allowing the HDD to run more efficiently and it should get the upgrade finished noticeably faster.