New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Windows Live Mail malfunctioning in Win 10

Recently upgraded a client from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on her Toshiba laptop and she elected to use Windows Live mail as her email client as the tile Mail app leaves a lot to be desired. She had complained previously while using the 8.1 Windows Live Mail app about the font size changing automatically while typing an email.....she would be typing and the "zoom" level would switch automatically from 100% to perhaps 50% to perhaps 150% or more !! I had already turned off the touch pad while typing in a effort to resolve this issue, with no effect.

All this time, the actual font size remained at 12 or whatever was selected. I logged into her system and watched as she was typing and was totally amazed at what I was seeing. She had claimed that her husband had no problem when he was doing emails....so, I had him start typing in the same email and sure enough, no changes occurred.
    I asked her if she had any rings or a watch on and if so, please remove them. She had no rings on, only a Seiko watch. Removing the watch seemed to have cured her problems with the automatic view resizing problem. Not sure just why this would happen, magnetic interference, poorly shielded keyboard, no idea !!
    Her problem seemed to be magnified in Win 10 than in Win 8.1, using the same Windows Live Mail app.
    Just a word to the wise.......if you encounter something strange, get any external electronics out of the picture.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow; that is strange. lol

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Could the wrist band hit any control keys?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No......it was a snug fitting wristband. In fact, she first noticed a problem while typing when she had her "Fitbit" wristband on.....screen would just go crazy !! She figured that one out by herself.......never, ever figured a watch would cause a problem !!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Need a zoom level reset for Windows Live Mail

My wife and I have each used Windows Live Mail for a couple of years on Win 8.1 with no problem. When we switched to Win 10 a month ago, the automatic zoom problem kicked in. What a mess! Without warning and for no reason, the zoom level fluctuates wildly. For Office apps, there is a zoom slider at the lower right and it is easy to reset, though very time consuming and unnecessary. In Outlook, in Compose mode, there is a Zoom option. But in Windows Live Mail, I cannot find any place to adjust the zoom level. Where is it? When it automatically goes to 20%, I can't read anything and can't reset it. Even some browsers like Firefox will zoom automatically with no obvious place to reset.

This thread is very interesting. I do have an iWatch that I wear all the time. I'll have to try taking it off to see if it still happens. But it's so sporadic, it's hard to test.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I took off my iWatch and it is worse than ever. In fact, I just did a Reply to a note and it opened with 10% zoom and is unreadable. And no way to restore the 100% zoom level? I need help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you are using WLM to access accounts on Outlook.com or any of its Microsoft predecessors you should start investigating other client software to access email. See the discussion at Attention Windows Live Mail users.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using WLM for my personal email to keep it very distinct from my business email on Outlook so I'm not using WLM to access an account on Outlook. (Hillary, take a hint!)
    The Zoom problem is on all apps, including Office 365.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I was not talking about the Outlook desktop program but the Outlook.com email service. That would include email addesses ending with outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com, msn.com & any other Microsoft address which I've forgotten.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I understand. This is a comcast.net address.