New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Screensaver Woes and Hidden Microsoft Store Window

For starters my upgrade from a perfectly functioning 8.1 pro to 10 went slick as a whistle. I have one known issue with no solution and one insane issue (could be causing the first issue)? I have googled the screensaver issue to death with no joy.
    The screensaver time out has totally quit working and I tried everything and have not found the cause. In addition I use Binary Fortress’ Display Fusion which I love. It has a neat feature where buttons appear on your windows title bar which allow you to do different tasks, one of which is move a window from the current monitor instantly to another monitor by clicking the button. I happened to notice after a reboot or daily wakeup from the lock screen that there was one of these buttons just “floating” on my desktop. I clicked it and lo and behold a invisible window (must have moved) and appeared on my next monitor. The open and active window was of all things the Microsoft Store. I would never have known it was running if my Display Fusion feature button had not been in use. So now the question is what is starting my store app to run since I did not initiate its start and is it causing the screensaver timer not to work? I have checked autoruns, used System Config to stop all startup items, and nothing seems to work. As you may have seen by Googling the screensaver works manually and keeps on running (nothing kicks it off or wakes up the computer from manual sleep mode). Whatever it is it's of Windows 10 origin. Sorry for the lengthy post.
    Best regards,
    FloryJ

"We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which screensaver?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Which screensaver?
    It doesn't matter, the same results for each one I've used.
    Best regards,
    FloryJ

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The store program execution is probably a scheduled task to check for updates. If you are using custom images for the screensaver are there non-image files in the folder?

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

floryj (2015-08-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, all my images are .jpg and the only other files are the *.ini files that are hidden in all folders.
    Again it doesn't matter what screen saver. The one I use the most is the 3D Text screensaver when I'm not using the photo screensaver. Also remember this all workerd perfectly before I upgraded to Win 10.
    Best regards,
    FloryJ

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't seen anyone else replying here. Am I the only one who's screensaver has not worked since upgrading to Windows 10 ?
    Best regards,
    FloryJ

Thanks
    Just tried screensaver on win 10 (haven't used it for years - it's so noughties!). But it doesn't work, presumably because I have a desktop slideshow. I had a look at that software - looks very complicated to me (I have a two monitor setup). So sorry, I can't help but I'll keep investigating.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The 3D Text and Photos screen savers work OK for me on Windows 10.

Thanks
    Screen Saver works for me on WIN10 but sorry no advice from me but will have a look around some other sites to see whats up. Good luck with that.
    Pete

Thanks
    Screensaver works on both my Win10 Pro x64 TP b.10525 desktop and my Win10 Home x64 laptop (upgraded yesterday from Win7).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, All,
    I finally found what was causing my issue. It was my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB Joystick. I saw a post elsewhere and thought, wth, so I unplugged it and my screensaver immediately worked upon timeout as did also sleep/standby. I installed the latest driver/software but that did not fix it. So I willhave to keep it unplugged when I'm not using it. Hope this helps others!
    Best regards,
    FloryJ