Thread: Battery life

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Battery life

It seems to me that my laptop battery does not last as long running on win 10 as it does on 8.1. Have been testing 10 since the beginning of the insider program as part of a dual boot and started to notice this several months ago although I have not run any tests to see if I can confirm this.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Rich

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Laptop batteries don't stay new for very long before they start to wear and don't last as long.

I bought a genuine replacement battery for this laptop - think it was in January and the last time I checked it, it was showing 10% wear and I only use the laptop on battery once a week.

You can check the state of your laptop battery with the free version of HWMonitor.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwmonitor.html

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo,

My observation is based on using the laptop with 10 and 8.1 at different times over the last couple of months. Have not done anything particularly labor intensive on either os. I am aware that batteries wear out. The difference I see is day to day, system to system.
    It may very well be my imagination, but I don't think so. Just asking if anyone else has noticed this.

Thanks,
    Rich

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could be right as I believe Edge is running in the background all of the time and if more memory is being used then that will have an effect on battery life.

What does Task Manager/Performance give for the Memory usage in its quietest state ?

Thanks
    My laptop has slightly better life than it did with Windows 8.1. Try going to Settings ? System > Battery Saver and turn Battery Saver on. You can also click on Battery Use on the same screen to get a list of apps that are draining the battery. Click on any app in the list for details and a possible option to turn off background use.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is somewhat related to battery life: I've noticed that my laptop gets shut down when my battery life still shows 51 minutes available. Any one else?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by revmrf View Post
    This is somewhat related to battery life: I've noticed that my laptop gets shut down when my battery life still shows 51 minutes available. Any one else?
    For that you would need to go into More power options by clicking the battery icon and selecting that, then Change plan settings on the plan you are using - then Change advanced power settings and then scroll down to Battery, but have a look at all of the settings.

Mine is default to warn me at 10% and 5% for Critical level with Reserve set to 7%, so usually I have to plug in the AC when I have about 15mins left.

It's also possible that it needs recalibrating as it could be giving you the wrong state of the battery.

This article will show you how to do that. http://batterycare.net/en/guide.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-11 at 05:09.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

revmrf (2015-08-11)