Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot access Windows Store or Microsoft Solitaire Collection

I upgraded both a Win 7 and a Win 8.1 computer to Win 10 very easily. Initially, I could access Windows Store and Microsoft Solitaire Collection on both machines. Today, when I have tried to open Microsoft Solitaire Collection on the newer computer which had Win 8.1, the program would start to open and, when it reached the page that says "loading" it simply quits. On the same machine, attempting to open Windows Store eventually brings up a page which says the server is stalled and cites error code 0x801901F7 and goes no further. Because one computer still opens these programs just fine, I have to assume that something has gotten messed up on the newer computer. Have any of you run into this? Have you any suggestions for sorting it out?
    Last edited by llynrice; 2015-08-11 at 14:47.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter at Control Panel, Troubleshooting, Hardware and Sound, Windows

or Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-10 at 21:13.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce,
    I tried the troubleshooter and it found no defects. Any further thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's a general problem with the Store for some users over the last four days, and today Microsoft have promised a fix via Windows Update within the next couple of days:

Microsoft's Windows 10 Store, Mail client down for some (see today's update at the bottom)

It's probably worth waiting for that in case you're just one of the currently unlucky ones, as I don't think anyone's worked out why only some are affected.

One theory is that if you currently have Selective Startup set in msconfig, then you should reset that to normal boot. But it also seems to be related to Microsoft Accounts, and some have got the Store working by logging in as a local administrator.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that reply, Bruce. It gives hope that things wills sort themselves out over the next couple of days.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that I may have shot myself in the foot fooling with this problem. I found a YouTube article which directly addresses this problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQqZggaUPSA

It involves opening Windows Services and resetting the Windows Update service. It did not work. At one point, I was offered the choice to restart the service which I attempted. It timed out with the comment that the service had not stopped in a timely manner. Now, the status for that service is "stopping" and I can't do anything with it. I did try troubleshooter which claimed to have performed some fixes; but, no joy.

What should I do next? It almost looks as if I should roll back to Win 8.1 and then try Win 10 again in a few days.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Restart Windows and recheck that service? (In the video he just changes it from disabled to automatic, before wsreset.)

Thanks
    Try the Windows all in one repair tool: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry,

I downloaded the Reimage Repair file and ran it. It began its analysis and then returned a repair error message in a balloon at the bottom-right corner of the screen and nothing else happened. Have you any thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by llynrice View Post
    Hi Jerry,

I downloaded the Reimage Repair file and ran it. It began its analysis and then returned a repair error message in a balloon at the bottom-right corner of the screen and nothing else happened. Have you any thoughts?
    Wrong program. You downloaded from an ad banner.

Thanks
    Bruce is right. Uninstall Reimage and install the all in one Windows Repair tool. Click on the direct download button under version 3.4.1 on the page given in my original post

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I finally realized that I had not downloaded the right program. I've since gotten the program you meant for me to download and it's running now (I'm writing this from my other machine). I'll get back with the results once it finishes. Thanks for your patience.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Success! I ran the tweaking.com program through once (long wait) and rebooted the computer. Windows store and solitaire both open now. And, the system update function seems to be back online.

The tweaking.com instructions suggested running the program twice -- just to be sure. Do you think that I should do that, considering that all seems to be working?

Thank you so much for your patient guidance.

Thanks
    I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fixit" mentality. I'd leave well enough alone .
    Glad to hear its fixed.

Jerry