2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To password or not to password - that is the question!

OK so I have an old win 7 pc managing a service to the LAN it is on - details are unimportant - but it has to accept data pushed at it via the LAN. The ideal is for it to run unattended and unmonitored. All works well until MS decides an update is due. Currently updates are allowed automatically - and often require and initiate a restart. If this pc has a password for logon - then it stalls at logon and the LAN data sent to it is rejected (and subsequent actions it is supposed to take would be stalled even if the LAN data somehow got in.) Of course I can remove the password - but I am reluctant to remove that security. Also I could stop MS installing the updates - but that would require the manual intervention I am trying to avoid.

So the question is, Is there some way I make this pc secure, that is password protected and with up to date software, and provide the un-attended service - accept and act on data 24/7 - it is there for?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In a word, no.
    For the PC to run most software you need to have logged on, either automatically or manually.
    What you can do is auto login but set a very short screen lock timeout, or run a screen lock command as part of the process that loads your software.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-13)

Thanks
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul and wavy.
    What is the benefit of Autologon vs. just not having a password? I can see there may be some benefit in a multi user scenario, - perhaps forcing logon to an non admin account but requiring a password for the admin account. However my setup has just a single user account, and I cannot see any difference?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No password = no security at the login screen and you said you wanted security.
    If you use file shares on that machine you may need a password to connect via the network - this is the default setting in Windows.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    No password = no security at the login screen and you said you wanted security.
    If you use file shares on that machine you may need a password to connect via the network - this is the default setting in Windows.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Agreed (obviously) re "No password = no security at the login screen" but surely "Autologin = no security at the login screen" so I don't see a difference here?Re network - yes there are file shares, that's how "the data" gets there. But having gone down this route, I know that having removed the password from the user account - and hence from the login screen - I had to remove it from the credentials of the sw pushing the data to this machine, and then all was well.

I can see that whilst - if I am correct - there is no difference at the login screen between no password and autologin, there is a difference at the LAN level. I am not really bothered by this, but I can see there is a difference here. (Assuming that "autologin" does not allow auto LAN login.)

I suspect your original "In a word, no." is the best summation!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Autologin + instant screen lock = security (of sorts), you need the password to access the screen. Your software can then run at start up and will work 24/7 as required.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

petermat (2015-08-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Details are unimportant

Why is it getting updates as soon as they are released? Even or especially The Newsletter reviews updates before recommending that you install them. Turn the automation off.

Where are the updates coming from? The connected workstations? Where is or are the connection(s) to the internet to receive them at all? If they are all updated and protected by a firewall and AV and this thing is just a slave to store data, it doesn’t need the updates anyway, at least not in any hurry.

Or does it?

Details are unimportant…

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    OK penny dropped - I had missed the significance of linking screen lock in with autologin - thanks for the patience!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dogberry,
    I agree this system does not need instant updates - but what it needs is updates without manual intervention. To my knowledge win 7 HP does not have any equivalent of 10's 'slow ring' or Pro to delay installing updates, but still handle them automatically. This pc just sits on the LAN like the other pcs (that's how the data it deals with gets to its shared drive) so it gets OS updates direct.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    never ever use a password

the only person a password will keep out is you

been there done that
    too many problem with passwords when something goes wrong and i am the one who is locked out

Quote Originally Posted by petermat View Post
    OK so I have an old win 7 pc managing a service to the LAN it is on - details are unimportant - but it has to accept data pushed at it via the LAN. The ideal is for it to run unattended and unmonitored. All works well until MS decides an update is due. Currently updates are allowed automatically - and often require and initiate a restart. If this pc has a password for logon - then it stalls at logon and the LAN data sent to it is rejected (and subsequent actions it is supposed to take would be stalled even if the LAN data somehow got in.) Of course I can remove the password - but I am reluctant to remove that security. Also I could stop MS installing the updates - but that would require the manual intervention I am trying to avoid.

So the question is, Is there some way I make this pc secure, that is password protected and with up to date software, and provide the un-attended service - accept and act on data 24/7 - it is there for?

Thanks
    Speedball, you could write down the password and keep it by the computer. If the computer is at your house, it is likely that only you or your family will ever see it, so you will benefit from the security a password provides, without having to remember it.

Thanks
    There does seem to be some disagreement about the benefits of passwords on a secured computer. I always loon auto as user or super user w/ a password and use a p/w for my admin account. Comments most welcome!!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You always want a password on a critical production system to prevent users mucking around with it.

cheers, Paul