Thanks

"Free"(?) Windows 10 and "Privacy"(?)

An interesting (and sobering) read:

http://theconversation.com/windows-1...-privacy-45593

And here: (How to opt out of Microsoft's Intrusive new Terms of Use):

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10432300.html

(My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks

What worries me is the unique hardware ID

If you do an upgrade install of Windows 10 and activate it, and then do a complete format of the hard drive and a clean install of Windows 10, it will activate automatically.
    This means if you format your hard drive and sell your computer, the next user who installs Windows 10 will automatically have the computer activated and tied to your name, e-mail, onedrive,etc.
    Should make identity theft easy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalpha2 View Post
    If you do an upgrade install of Windows 10 and activate it, and then do a complete format of the hard drive and a clean install of Windows 10, it will activate automatically.
    This means if you format your hard drive and sell your computer, the next user who installs Windows 10 will automatically have the computer activated and tied to your name, e-mail, onedrive,etc.
    The unique hardware ID doesn't include your name or email address. The device is licensed, not the user.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    And here: (How to opt out of Microsoft's Intrusive new Terms of Use):

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-10432300.html
    Turn off personalised ads
    Obviously, ads that are tailored to what you want depend on storing some of your data, otherwise you'd be bombarded with adverts for things you have no intention of buying.

Right. Let's all make sure we get ads for stuff we don't care about rather than stuff we are interested in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsalpha2 View Post
    Presumably you do more than format the disk - but rather use CCleaner or Eraser to wipe the disk completely. In any case, one assumes you have a secure password, so they wouldn't be able to get in anyway.

And when you add what Bruce has said, then there's no need to worry.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    The unique hardware ID doesn't include your name or email address. The device is licensed, not the user.
    Surely it's na´ve to assume the hardware ID and all your personal info harvested by default settings--name, address, email, much more--are not connected in some database?

Remember, these companies are under pressure from the US government to supply info on stream and on demand, without disclosing same, which probably gives them legal cover to collect and connect what they like, as long as they keep the ToS fuzzy enough.

A good rule of thumb is: "If they can, they will".

So best idea for jsalpha2 is to either keep the HD or do more to wipe data than just a format.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Feury View Post
    Surely it's na´ve to assume the hardware ID and all your personal info harvested by default settings--name, address, email, much more--are not connected in some database?
    I don't think I did assume that, because a subsequent owner of the computer will not have access to that (if users and files are deleted before sale or transfer, or Windows reset).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I don't think I did assume that
    Ah ok, my bad assumption

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the hardware ID thing has been around for a long time. It once was the CPU serial number, but that was a big mistake.

If you want to dispose of a PC, sell it to someone, or give it away and have NONE of your information go with it, the remove the disk drives, You should have a recovery CD or DVD from the purchase of the unit, so use that to rebuild the system back to initial settings before it is sold, given away, or disposed of.

But in general, keep your disk drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Disk drives are simple to erase securely with DBAN. Ignore the Blancco stuff and just get DBAN.

cheers, Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2015-08-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Disk drives are simple to erase securely with DBAN. Ignore the Blancco stuff and just get DBAN.

cheers, Paul
    +1