Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turning my computer off

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if it is ok for me to leave my computer on for weeks-on-end before turning if off for the night?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me on this.

Thanks
    First of all I wondered how long your day is; did you mean "or turn it off for the night"?

You'll get about 50% of people here saying it's OK to leave it on and the rest saying better to switch it off. A lot will depend on how you use it and what your requirements are. Personally I do switch it off at close of play, but I have left it on in the past. Neither has any particular advantage/disadvantage for me.

Thanks
    If it was XP, I recommend turning it off each day. With Vista, Windows 7,8,10, you can safely leave it up for as long as you like. The only concern is power usage which is minmal with the normal settings.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I wanted to know if it is ok for me to leave my computer on for weeks-on-end before turning if off for the night?
    Thanks for any guidance you can give me on this.
    Unless your PC is one of those specially designed "Servers" that cost up in the $3000 to $5000 range, then it's made with Hobby Grade components that were never designed for 100% duty cycle. By leaving the PC on 24x7, you're greatly shortening the life of your PC. And you're also taking a greater chance of something adverse happening while you're not at the PC. Damage from power surges or even fire are possibilities.
    There are also things, like re-writing the Registry to the Hard drive that are only done during a full shutdown.

I'd rather play safe! When I"m not at home, to monitor my PC, it's OFF.....not just OFF but the power to it is also shut off at the power strip it's plugged into.

Be SAFE, not SORRY.

Cheers Mate,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @Doc,

Baloney on the sweeping generalization about shortened life. I have a 16 year old Dell XP desktop machine that is rarely turned off. It will be decommissioned very soon but has worked well for a long time. I have another 7 year old Dell desktop that has been upgraded from xp to vista to 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10. It too is almost never turned off. I know many other people who leave their PCs on 24x7. I also know many who turn theirs on and off more than once each day. I've seen servers, desktops, & laptops all have hardware issues and seen them all run for many years being left on almost constantly. My generalization is that if the device is not DOA and does not have a hardware problem in the first 30-45 days it is very likely you'll have many years of service with normal treatment regardless of turning it off daily or not.

Joe

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

BATcher (2015-08-20),jwitalka (2015-08-11),satrow (2015-08-11)

Thanks
    Beat me to it Joe. There are also people that will say that constant turning the PC off and On will stress the components and shorten their life. This is equally not valid for a modern computer that survives its first 30 days as Joe has stated. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Beat me to it Joe. There are also people that will say that constant turning the PC off and On will stress the components and shorten their life. This is equally not valid for a modern computer that survives its first 30 days as Joe has stated.
    Years and years ago, when a lot of people were using computers built from components, the power supplies were not the best and turning them on and off was probably worse for them than leaving them running. Also, that tended to wear down the circuitry as well. But unless you had either a UPS or a good power regulator, the current fluctuations and surges could be equally bad for the electronics so it was pretty much a wash.

I used to have a good Dell server in my office and it ran Novell then later WinNT and pretty much stayed on all the time for 7 years. The only reason it was finally replaced is that the power supply got glitchy and it was more bother than it was worth to replace.

Thanks
    I was wrong, it's currently 3 - 1 to the no problems either way.

I believe that what Jerry and Joe are describing used to be called (and may well still be) the bathtub curve. Failures tend to occur when the equipment is new, or at end of life. The former is easy (when you git it!), the latter is less so. So if you start getting glitches and problems, then it's probably at end of life. But as long as you backup, backup, backup, you'll be fine.

Thanks
    Most of my routine maintenance is done by Task Scheduler in the wee hours. My desktops only get turned off during a power failure or when an upgrade requires a reboot (which is not actually turning it off). About a year ago I bought a UPS for my main desktop, so reboots for software upgrades are all it ever sees.

Bottom line, it's a two-step decision process: what do you want to do? Do it. It will be irrelevant to the PC.

No need to try to justify it, either way.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2015-08-19)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your responses. They were very helpful.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Let's review in another five years?

Turn computer off or leave it on after use?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Beat me to it Joe. There are also people that will say that constant turning the PC off and On will stress the components and shorten their life. This is equally not valid for a modern computer that survives its first 30 days as Joe has stated. Do whatever you are comfortable with.

Jerry
    Once Upon a Time before surface mounted components and massive integration when chips were pressed into sockets the heating and cooling could 'eject' them from their sockets. It may be true that W7 + machines don't need a reboot as XP seemed to. I like to disconnect my computers from power when I go to sleep. Maybe I only save a few pennies but it make me feel all green all over.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If everyone saved as much electricity as they could we would all be better off.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    .... if it is ok for me to leave my computer on for weeks-on-end before turning if off ....
    yes

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Every Update Tuesday at least one reboot is required.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast