Thanks

New look for chkdsk on Win 10

I decided to run a chkdsk /f on my HP laptop with win 10, just to see if there were any problems. I see that they have changed the visual on it.
    W10 chkdsk screen.jpg
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-08-14 at 09:28. Reason: grammar

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    95, hello.
    I have always run chkdsk in CMD mode, nothing changed.

How did you get to that screen ? Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-08-11 at 14:11.

Thanks
    Hi Jean,
    Yes you still run it as admin in cmd prompt but when the reboot to run it comes up, it's a new screen. Not all the txt like it was before. At least not on this laptop.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    95 hello.
    I ran it in Admin level then cmd screen, on a Toshiba lappy and got a DOS like screen text. Funny ! Jean.

Thanks
    I had always seen the text screen while it was running on the laptop until win 10, which changed the display of chkdsk running.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I decided to run a chkdsk /f on my HP laptop with win 10, just to see if there were any problems. I see that the they have changed the visual on it.
    W10 chkdsk screen.jpg
    Is this something I can do just for the heck of it or only if there are certain things wrong. I ran "chkdsk" without the /F (I googled it first and read a bit about it) in the command prompt and it gave me a load of information with "0 KB in bad sectors" which sounds good so maybe leave it at that. So what happens if I add the /F and get the blue screen like your screenshot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    Is this something I can do just for the heck of it or only if there are certain things wrong. I ran "chkdsk" without the /F (I googled it first and read a bit about it) in the command prompt and it gave me a load of information with "0 KB in bad sectors" which sounds good so maybe leave it at that. So what happens if I add the /F and get the blue screen like your screenshot.
    I do it at least monthly as a maintenance thing. The /f is for fix which fixes a number of problems such as unindexed files, erroneous free space reporting, etc.
    0 KB in bad sectors means that your HDD is good, anything other than 0 KB is a sign that your HDD is in trouble and you would want to get a backup immediately.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-08-14)

Thanks
    Yeah your post back reminded me the key word here "HDD" and I have a "SSD" I knew there was something about chkdsk that wasn't for me. Just ran it for my external drive though and got "no bad sectors found", but got no fancy blue screen like you got Lumpy. I now remember that this can be done from Properties/Tools but I want to learn to use the Command Prompt.

Thanks
    Actually I have a HYBRID drive in the laptop ( SSD chip on SATA ). It's interesting though that when I ran chkdsk /f before win 10, I got the usual black screen w/text display but it changed to what you see in the picture after Win 10.
    Event viewer still has the same info as before but it doesn't display during the running process.