New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail and Windows 10

I am running windows 7 Pro 64 and have been using windows live mail as my email client with all of my emails stored on my computer. I have fortunately backed them up.

Windows did an update to Windows 10 on my computer (via a checked box in the windows update list which I did not realize until too late)

After installing the windows 10, everything worked EXCEPT my email. Windows Live Mail would not load and the new Mail client did not have any options to retrieve. All I could do was put my email in the new client and then I was told that it was not valid.

I did a rollback to Windows 7 because I MUST have my email to work. After I rolled back my email was messed up so I had to copy it back from a backup.

I am now running windows 7 pro 64 and using Live Mail again.

I am not able to get any security updates now without windows 10 being part of what will be installed.

Is there any way to make sure that my email will work in windows 10?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    A number of people here have upgraded to Win10 and had WLM work properly. Others have had issues with WLM & Win10. It may be older versions of WLM which are proving troublesome. Which version of WLM are you running?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331)

Latest I could find. I was in compatibility mode...would that be a cause? I also have some sizable attachments in my received and sent email which makes the database large. Is that a factor?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As of this morning Windows update is a pre-selected choice in windows update. I can't get security updates without also getting win 10 (I do not see any way to deselect it).

Thanks
    I would suggest to be sure you have a backup of your email. The default storage location of WLM may not be in with the rest of the user files. In fact backup of all your user files before you let it run the update again.

A full Windows Image would be a good idea too.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2015-08-11 at 13:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did all of that. I want to find a way to access all my email After I upgrade to Win10. WLM did NOT run at all. The New mail program doesn't recognize there ever was email on the computer and gives no way to retrieve that I have found.

SO my question is, How do I get my mail and history, contacts etc migrated to Win 10 without loss?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Running Win10, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling WLM?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My tech advisor rolled it back and advised against doing the update on any work machine to avoid glitches.

He tried to make it run after it wouldn't for me. I have seen this as an issue for others as well, but solutions so far seem scarce.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do NOT like the Win 10's "Windows Mail" app. What I stumbled on is that after the install, I still had "Windows Live Mail" (version 2011) and all I had to do was search for it on my system and it was still operative and connected to my accounts just as before Win10. Try it! Maybe your uninstall was unneeded -- I wish Win10 were all more clearly documented.

Thanks
    Umm, the vast majority of upgrades, were just that, upgrades. Which means that all your apps (except WMC if you had it) would still be there and could have been found by clicking on 'all apps'. That was clearly documented, or have I misunderstood something (wouldn't be the first time!)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    WLM was there. It just did not run...it hung up on the opening screen.

After rollback to Win 7 it ran but the mail folders had been damaged (thankfully had most of it on another machine on the network. Trying to start it in Win 10 may have corrupted something. I have 4 email accounts and many emails, some with large attachments. I have all my email downloaded to my computer and then moved to storage folders without leaving most of it on the server for very long. I do not know whether the total size of email stored, the number of email accounts or something else choked it in Win 10. I was running in compatibility mode in Win 7 so that it would minimize to tray since that was not an available option otherwise in win 7.

I have read that you should not have it in compatibility mode when you upgrade but that was not authoritative. I do know that I need to migrate to something else in Win 7 somehow (to what I do not yet know) so that the email will work in Win 10.

Thanks
    What about uninstalling WLM, upgrading to Win 10, and reinstalling WLM?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A question for the original poster:

Did you reserve a copy of windows 10 (presumably in response to the nagging update icon) or was the upgrade foisted on you completely unawares??

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After a full backup, uninstall Windows Live Mail, then install Windows 10. Next, install the latest version of Windows Live Mail. Open Windows Live Mail, and create accounts for all your e-mail accounts, then sync them (download all e-mails from the servers).

Now, find the folders containing the e-mail (.eml) files in your backup. For each offline folder, create a corresponding Storage Folder (offline e-mail folder) using Windows Live Mail. Then select all the .eml files in that drawer in Windows Explorer, and drag and drop them to the pertinent folder on the Windows Live Mail window.