3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update Icon gone

I'm wondering why the little Windows Update icon that normally shows up in the information center (systray) isn't coming up. The Windows Update banner also does not come up like it used to. Windows Update is not showing in the Task Manager as a process like it used to. I have Windows Updates set to notify me, but not download or install updates. I've got Win 7 SP1, 64 bit and just did last month's (July) updates, avoiding the Win 10 nag updates. The icon still shows up in the Control Panel and I can get to it, just not from the information center. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Note - I'm sort of happy not to have this popping up 4 or 5 minutes after booting up, but I just wonder if it's okay and a normal situation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's normal. Windows Update only shows up in the notification area or as a task manager process when you have updates available to download/install. What's different about the banner?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt replies. I guess I should clarify a few things:

1. I never put Windows Update in Automatic mode, I uncheck the updates I don't want (per Woody's advice) and get all the others that are okay.
    2. Because I do the updates this way I always have a few that still show as needing to be downloaded/installed, and therefore always get the notification balloon and icon when I boot up and Windows starts.
    3. Nothing is different about the banner or balloon - it simply does not appear now.
    4. I've done nothing to tell MS that I want to upgrade to Win 10, and I've rejected all updates that prepare one's computer for that scenario. I want to stay with Win 7.

All indications are that Windows Update is running, just not in the notification area. I hope this somehow rectifies itself but am curious as to what's causing it. It just started happening right after I did the WU of July updates on 8/9/15.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you've hidden the updates you don't want, I think your situation is perfectly normal.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't hidden them - yet. Many times they go away on their own. If they don't and I don't get an "all clear" for them, then I hide them. Ever since Win XP I've gotten that balloon and icon when starting windows so it seem very odd now that it's not happening. Maybe MS has made some change that I haven't heard of, who knows.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    , but you will no longer be bothered with the icon.
    I don't think he's ever seen the GWX icon.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I don't think he's ever seen the GWX icon.
    Thanks Bruce.

I think that I've seen that many posts about Win 10 that when someone complains about update pop ups, I think I've become brain washed into thinking everyone is talking about the Win 10 icon.

I'll have a clean up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Received from Sudo15 via email:

"If you go into Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/Setup and click on GWX/Triggers you should see when it is set to check for the Win 10 update - I think that it was one or more of July's updates that changed its behaviour from what seemed static to dynamic."

Thank you Sudo15 for that info. When I checked there was no Setup under Windows, and nothing about any GWX or triggers.

You are right BruceR, I haven't seen any GWX icon.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Received from Sudo15 via email:

"If you go into Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/Setup and click on GWX/Triggers you should see when it is set to check for the Win 10 update - I think that it was one or more of July's updates that changed its behaviour from what seemed static to dynamic."

Thank you Sudo15 for that info. When I checked there was no Setup under Windows, and nothing about any GWX or triggers.

You are right BruceR, I haven't seen any GWX icon.
    You will have received that notification before I realised that senility had set in and removed the posts

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Sudo15 - I know that feeling well!

This is not a serious problem (I don't think). I'm just a curious person who likes to know why things happen, or why they stop happening all of a sudden.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good day.

Well this seems to be THE forum for this problem, 3 threads about the same thing so far in a few days. I'm lucky Google indexed it quickly. So I have (had) the same issue, the "There are updates" icon in the System Tray was no longer showing but updates WERE available. For me it was caused by this one:

KB3065987 Windows Update Client for Windows July 2015

UnInstall that update, and the icon should come back. It's possible that the updated client depends on other updates that I have "hidden" and not installed, like the following:

KB3035583 Additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications (Win10 upgrade buttons)
    KB3021917 Gather data for upcoming Windows releases
    KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7 (this updates comes in several flavours)
    KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows

In any case, let us know if this fixes the problem for you.
    Best Regards.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ BOOze - Welcome to the Lounge! Thanks for the info. That's what I suspected. By the way, there are at least two versions of KB2952664 that have been released. The info. on all of them reads the same. I'm planning on staying with Win 7 for as long as I can so I'll sit tight for now. I never did like that Windows Update Pop Up Banner telling me I have new updates everyday anyway.