New Lounger
    Thanks

Recent updates have broken Word's ability to "save as pdf"

Hi everyone

I posted this recently in response to Susan's Window Secrets July Patch Watch column, but then realised I should have posted this in the main forum - sorry for the double up.

Since I've installed the slew of July patches (both Windows and Office 2010), I have lost the ability to "save as pdf" in Office 2010 Professional Plus - it has affected both Word and Excel. I'm running on Windows 7 Professional.

Now, when in Word, if I "save as ", and select PDF as the file type, it changes the file type to .pdf. But the "PDF options" and Optimize radio buttons have now disappeared - see my screenshot attached.

If I carry on and save it as a .pdf, it in fact saves it still in Word format. If I try an open it with Adobe Reader, it says that file is corrupted. However, I can use Word to open it and all the formatting etc is retained - nothing lost.

Because I haven't made any other changes to my system, I think one of these recent patches is responsible for removing the ability of Office 2010 to save as pdf.

Any suggestions on which one it is, or other solutions to my problem. I can of course still print to pdf using a 3rd party pdf printer, but it is much more clunky than being able to save as a pdf.

Cheers
    Glynne
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried to Repair the Office installation from Add/Remove Programs?

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

glynnenz (2015-08-12)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If Paul's suggestion of the repair doesn't work, the only sure way of determining which update is responsible is to restore to before their installation then do one at a time until the problem reoccurs - creating restore points as you progress as sometimes just uninstalling a particular update may not resolve.

No doubt in time if others have had the same problem, then there will be a Google article about it and which update(s) is/are responsible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

glynnenz (2015-08-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Have you tried to Repair the Office installation from Add/Remove Programs?

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul

I've just tried this and unfortunately it didn't work. Looks like I'm faced with have to do a restore back to prior the installation of these patches as per Sudo15's suggestion.

I've just had another thought - I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling Word just by itself and see if that makes any difference.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had another idea - I have tried starting Word in safe mode. And the pdf functionality has returned.

So it must be more likely an addon that I have that is causing the problem, rather than a recent patch update?

I will investigate further with my addons...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok, problem solved!

Recently I had added Drive for Office, which is a new Google addin that allows you to directly open and save back to your Google Drive. Clearly it is not playing nice with MS Office so I have unstalled it and I now have my save as pdf functionality back again. Phew!