2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding firewire port to Inspiron 3847, please educate me.

I would like to plug my Canon MV830I mini DV camcorder into my Dell Experion 3847 desktop running 8.1 soon to be 10.
    The camera has a DV Terminal IEEE1394 but my computer does not.

So I take it I will need to add one.

This is where my confusion begins.

I opened the computer up to get a rough idea of what kind of connection I need, this is what I found.

DSCF5706.jpg

DSCF5702.jpg

DSCF5704.jpg

DSCF5707.jpg

DSCF5703.jpg

And this is the back.

DSCF5708.jpg

DSCF5710.jpg

So guys, what have I got and what do I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Your Subject says Inspiron but your question mentions Experion. I have a few Inspirons but I must be careful to say whether Desktop or Notebook when describing, same name used on both types. Your images didn't show until I logged in but do indicate it is a Desktop. It appears you have 2 PCIe X1 slots and 1 PCIe X16 slot. The long one is only for an Add-in Video card. This page for Amazon shows at least two that should fit:
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...ee-1394%20card
    The only issue I can think of is whether the holes in the back of the case can use the standard mounting plate or the low-profile type, probably the standard size but can't tell for sure from the pictures.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    robgil,

As Berton said, you'll want a PCIe card to fit one of your two PCIe X1 slots (Slot 1 or Slot 3). Brand doesn't really matter as long as you stick with something that uses either the ubiquitous TI or VIA chipset and Windows should recognize it without you having to install any special driver. (At least Win7/8 does, so I'll assume Win10 also will.)

Berton mentions the standard vs low-profile mounting bracket. The only difference is the height of the mounting bracket--different computers may have tall/short openings in the back chassis that the mounting bracket covers. Your Inspiron needs the standard height bracket. (FTR, note some cards ship with both brackets, in which case you'd just select and attach the appropriate bracket to the card.)

To install the card, remove the side cover, then press down on the spring latch (a light-blue, plastic button--just partially visible in the very bottom-left corner of your photo #5). The latch is hinged and will swing outward through the back of the chassis. Remove one of the filler brackets, replace it with your 1394 card/bracket, and snap everything back together.

Note there are three different types of 1394 connectors: 4-pin, 6-pin, and 9-pin. I'd stick with the standard 6-pin for your add-in card, but your camcorder likely uses a 4-pin connector, so you'll need to get a 1394 cable with 4-pin on one end and 6-pin on the other.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't need a low profile card. PCIe x1 slot. If camera has Firewire 800 (1394b) then I would go with that as it is twice as fast an interface. Thanks for the photos...big help!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...4%241%24%24%24
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-12 at 22:58.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is 1394b backwards compatible with 1394 devices?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robgil View Post
    Is 1394b backwards compatible with 1394 devices?
    yes and no. The standards are backward compatible but the idiot designers made the port incompatible so a dual compatible cable is needed. The one I linked has both a and b ports so not an issue unless you plan on running two 1394a devices at once.