Thanks

Interesting HP support call on Win 10 drivers

I got the Win 10 Pro upgrade on 8/4/15 and all went smooth but noticed a number of apps were "Unavailable" although they seem to work somewhat. Things like Realtek HD Audio and a number of other things.
    So I got to looking on the HP support site and noticed that they are getting quite a number of win 10 drivers and programs for my laptop. The Realtek HD driver was 228 MB and I D/L it and was wondering whether I need to uninstall the previous driver from Win 7 Pro before installing the win 10 driver.
    So I called HP support about it and the foreign speaking gentleman said that he couldn't advise me on anything to do for win 10 drivers, actually he inferred that MS may do all the driver downloading/installing. He said that all driver information and app information has to come from MS tech support.
    I found that quite interesting and frustrating that HP support will not advise on anything win 10. I tried MS 800 # and there was a 1 hr. 30 min. wait time advised so I hung up.
    Just thought I would mention this in case someone else needs win 10 help from HP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    ...The Realtek HD driver was 228 MB and I D/L it and was wondering whether I need to uninstall the previous driver from Win 7 Pro before installing the win 10 driver...
    Normally when the Realtek installer is run for a newer driver it will first uninstall the old driver then prompt for the system to be restarted. After the restart the installer will install the new driver.

As for "...So I called HP support about it and the foreign speaking gentleman said that he couldn't advise me on anything to do for win 10 drivers..." it's hard to get good help these days (facetious).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you paid for the support I'm sure HP could afford to hire native English speakers.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I guess that support job would be a good one to have since you get paid to tell people to call someone else. Maybe I should apply?

Thanks
    Well, to my surprise I checked the HP Support Assistant app on my laptop today and there were 3 win 10 drivers there to D/L and install. The Realtek driver that I called them about was included. The Intel Storage driver refuses to install though and I think that is because there is no RAID option on this laptop that I can find in BIOS.
    I guess that foreign speaking gentleman was full of p00p00.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    The Intel Storage driver refuses to install though and I think that is because there is no RAID option on this laptop that I can find in BIOS.
    I guess that foreign speaking gentleman was full of p00p00.
    Yeah maybe lucky on that one. Consider not trying to install it.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Yeah maybe lucky on that one. Consider not trying to install it.
    I don't have a choice since it refuses to install.