Lounger
    Thanks

Need to remove Reimage Repair

I need to remove Reimage Repair from my machine. A few days after I upgraded to Win 10, I started to have trouble with opening the Win apps store and sought advice in the Lounge. One of the moderators recommended that I download and run Tweaking.com. When I went to the referenced site, I got confused and stupidly downloaded Reimage Repair. I ran it and it came up with a whole list evils and offered a link to click to pay a licensing fee to do the actual repair. This sounded a bunch of alarm bells with me and I went no further. I then found, downloaded and ran tweaking.com which fixed all the damaged/incorrect files and got the machine working as it is supposed to.

I then decided to get rid of Reimage Repair because I hadn't needed it. When I went through the control panel to the uninstall utility and clicked on the Reimage Repair, the file which came up offered no way to uninstall, but did offer a link to install a different version. A look through Google shows Reimage Repair to be a nasty bit of adware.

Since then, I've run the free Malwarebytes program which found nothing amiss. I then let Microsoft Defender run a full, detailed scan overnight and it found a browser modifier Win32/KipodToolsBy which it removed. I also looked at the plugins section of my default browser (Firefox) and found nothing suspicious looking.

It appears that not clicking on the "fix" when I ran Reimage Repair may have limited the the amount of corruption brought into my machine. Also, running Tweaking.com may have fixed some corruption from Reimage Repair.

So, what is the the best strategy for me to drive a stake through Reimage Repair's heart? Are there any widely respected and effective tools for sniffing out the nasty files and getting rid of them? Are there any specific procedures that any of you would recommend?
    Last edited by llynrice; 2015-08-12 at 10:13.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    llyn,

I'd recommend the following:

Download Malwarebytes Free and run a threat scan. When installing make sure you UNCHECK the Free Trial box!

Download the Junkware Removal Tool and run it.

Download Windows Defender Offline install on a USB key and boot from it and run a Full Scan!.

It would also be a good idea to make an image back of your C: drive at each step. If you don't have an imaging program I'd recommend Macrium Reflect Free. Make sure you make the Windows PE Boot media so you can restore the image if necessary. Here's an article on using Reflect.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    lynn,

I almost forgot...download the free version of RevoUninstaller and run it to uninstall the app. Do this first. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Complete steps (including three tools recommended by RetiredGeek): Remove “Reimage” PC Repair Online (Uninstall Guide)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Please note that the free version of Revo only works on 32-bit programs and appears to be stuck at version 1.95.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, RG. I downloaded and ran the free version of RevoUninstaller which could not see Reimage Repair, even though it was visible in the Win control panel uninstall application. I went back to the Win control panel uninstall and fiddled with it. Eventually, it offered some troubleshooting dialogs and I finally managed to get the uninstall routine to run and RR no longer is visible in the uninstall app. Keep in mind that I had run Tweaking.dot com between the time I tried to run Reimage Repair and started trying to uninstall it. Could the changes that Tweaking.com made to the registry have cleaned out the Reimage Repair detritus already? Am I now safe?

I'm about to run the free Malwarebytes once again out of an abundance of caution.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe, I've removed Revo since it seems not to be useful in Win 10x64bit.
    Hi Bruce, I've tried to follow the instructions from the tutorial you referred me to. The first step, deleting the basic program using the control panel, I had already completed. I have run AdwCleaner and its scan found nothing. I also ran the free MalwareBytes program and it also found nothing. I'm guessing that the Tweaking.com which you referred me to in the Win 10 Forum must have already gotten all of the Reimage Repair trash out of my registry. I'm inclined to take no further action until something pops up to hint that I'm in trouble.

Thanks for all the good input, folks.

Thanks
    Free Revo only uninstalls 32bit applications, you need to pay to get 64bit app removal. It's not whether your OS is 32 or 64bit. Indeed, most of your apps will be 32bit.

However after reading recommendations here, I've started using geek uninstaller and it seems much quicker than Revo and does 64bit apps too. Others have also recommended Iobit uninstaller. As always, beware PUPs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-12)