5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting Out the Past and the Present

When it comes to Windows 10, there is way too much outdated information on the interweb. That wouldn't seem possible since it's been out for less than a month now, but doing a search it's easy to find things that are nearly two years old. This is because people started writing about Windows 10 before even the very first preview release. And ever since the technical preview was released, every expert who professed to be an expert has been posting to blogs and writing reviews.

The problem is, a lot has changed in the time between the first technical release and the actual release two weeks ago. Anyone looking for information on new features or functions (like me) may well find themselves looking at something that pertained to a 4 month old preview release but is no longer valid.

And here is the worst part... Nothing every written on the interweb ever goes away. It often gets repeated, and repeated, long after it was pertinent or even factually correct. I saw something in a forum post that was only a week old that is wrong because it's based on a technical preview which is different than the version that shipped. The person posting it believed it was correct, but it's not.

I know that it's only been a couple weeks, and that in time this will sort itself out. But for now this is a real problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Unfortunately, this is not just a Windows 10 problem. If you confine yourself just to Windows you can find all sorts of misinformation about almost every version. Some junk is still pushed in spite of being repeatedly disproved.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Both Bing and Google allow you to restrict search results to the last day, week, month etc. (after clicking Any time on Bing or Search Tools on Google).

I'm sure it's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Both Bing and Google allow you to restrict search results to the last day, week, month etc. (after clicking Any time on Bing or Search Tools on Google).
    My main point is that with Win10 in particular, there was a lot of work put into exploring the features and capabilities of the technical preview. But there were a number of changes made to the final version and it's frequently impossible to know whether a given 'fact' is still true or not. It's not always possible to tell from the content when something was written and there's a lot of good and correct information that was written during the technical preview.

Like many, I skipped Win8.x completely so there's much that is new. And it's tough to sort it all out when even current posts are stating things that are wrong because they actually refer to a beta version. Well, no upgrade ever goes unpunished, but there's clearly a lot of confusion out there right now.

Thanks
    Maybe now would be a good time to ensure the sticky threads are all up to date. I know that I would have appreciated a sticky with different errors and how they could be fixed. There are answers but some of the threads with those answers have a multitude of posts, not all relevant.

Of the form
    Error x - do a
    Error y - do b
    Error z - do c

would probably be helpful