New Lounger
    Thanks

WiFi disappeared

I hope someone can help me with a WIFI problem. I have a HP 17 Envy-J020US laptop with Win 8.1. Everything was working good until I updated the Bios to the latest update. On the reboot after update the WiFi was not working and the Wireless strength indicator in the Sys Tray was missing. Windows Device Manager indicates the Wireless Adapter is the Intel Centrino N2230 and is working properly. On the Control Panel / Network & Internet / Network Connections window the WiFi adapter is shown and is enabled. Have tried to disable and then re-enable but did not help. Network troubleshooter indicates that there may be a problem with the driver, but is unable to repair.

HP does not show a driver for this laptop on their driver page, so went to Intel website and downloaded and installed an updated driver. Again no help.

Since it failed during Bios update, I rechecked the Bios settings and can find nothing that effects the WiFi operation.

Any suggestions before I buy a USB WiFi adapter?

Thanks to all

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    On many laptops there is an external switch to turn WiFi on or off. Perhaps you turned it off.

BTW, do you see any networks?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    On many laptops there is an external switch to turn WiFi on or off. Perhaps you turned it off.

BTW, do you see any networks?

Joe

Thanks Joe

WiFi function key shows a white lite (Initial power up it shows orange) and tapping the key shows Airplane Mode ON or OFF. There is no other switch.
    I am currently using a wired Ethernet connection.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Do you see any wireless networks if you search?

Have you re-booted the router?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure why a BIOS update show turn the WiFi off and when WiFi is off I would still expect to see an icon even if it is just an empty box.

Can you open a command prompt and enter netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

You should have three -

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

Idx Met MTU State Name
    --- ---------- ---------- ------------ ---------------------------
    1 50 4294967295 connected Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
    13 25 1492 connected Wireless Network Connection
    12 5 1492 disconnected Local Area Connection

C:\Windows\system32>
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-12 at 12:38.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe & Sudo

Joe The the computer, modem, & router have been rebooted several times since this happened. I have a program Vistumbler that searches for WiFi signals and it detects nothing. It detected mine and neighbors signals before the loss of WiFi.

Sudo I get the following

C:\Windows\system32>netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

Idx Met MTU State Name
    --- ---------- ---------- ------------ ---------------------------
    1 50 4294967295 connected Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
    3 10 1500 connected Ethernet
    19 40 1500 disconnected Bluetooth Network Connection

No wireless signal.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have Bluetooth so was just looking for the main ones.

Can you open Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices, expand Network adapters and post us a snip to include Non-Plug and Play Drivers - looking for yellow alerts, red crosses or black downward pointing arrows, but I think I would be inclined to report this to HP as a BIOS update shouldn't have taken the Interface out and they will be best placed to come up with a solution.

From a Google, this seems to have happened to someone with a HP 15 Envy in 2014, but the forum helper in the end just referred the OP to contact HP - so they do know that a BIOS update can take out WiFi.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

lwgorrell (2015-08-12)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can think of several explanations.

Joe hit one: Most laptops have a switch to disable the wifi, or a key combo (Fn-F12 in your case) to do the same or both. This is both an important security issue and power saver. I could easily see hitting a key combo and knocking things out. There should be a wifi light LED indicating it is turned on.

But this correlates with a BIOS update. The BIOS Menu may have a wifi deactivate setting and the update may have set it from enable to disable. Which would be dumb but check that it is enabled if it exists. A switch off won't make the wifi adapter disappear from the Device Manager. Everything below will.

I see 4 general model series for the Envy 17 J000 series including Select Editions, Leap Motion SE editions, Quad editions [note the plural on each one] in addition to standard editions (129 of those). If you downloaded the wrong BIOS update for your model and installed it one complication could be the disabling of the wifi adapter (wifi adapter not on the whitelist or wrong BIOS just mucking things up). PS: I do not see a J020US on HP's list (maybe I missed it), a J020SS comes closest. Somewhat concerned because Intel's wifi driver appear under the HP's Network category for me.

HP and Lenovo use white lists (the B@$t@&d$!) for internal wifi adapters. You have to replace them with a model approved on their whitelist or it doesn't work. By that I mean a Intel Centrino 2230 bought on eBay will not work unless the specific model subnumber made for HP appears in the whitelist (eBay sellers may point this out with a message 'will or won't work in HP or Lenovo'). I could see an BIOS update mucking that whitelist up in which case HP would have to issue you and everyone else a new update with a corrected whitelist. This would be a contact HP TS. You might be able to "update" to an earlier BIOS rev. to correct.

Coincidence: BIOS update and wifi fail. See above for replacement, or replace under warranty or buy a USB wifi dongle.

----------------------------

From your User Guide [note: "button" refers to the Fn-F12 key in this case as I do not believe you have a physical button/switch present.]:

The computer has a wireless button, one or more wireless devices, and one or two wireless lights, depending on the model. All of the wireless devices on your computer are enabled at the factory, so the wireless light is on (white) when you turn on the computer.

The wireless light indicates the overall power state of your wireless devices, not the status of individual devices. If the wireless light is white, at least one wireless device is on. If the wireless light is off, all wireless devices are off.

NOTE: On some models, the wireless light is amber when all wireless devices are off.

source: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03735882

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03922401

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/...30AQO5O3KA30B3 - J020ss
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-12 at 20:23.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is the Airplane Mode set to OFF as it should be.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo
    Tried to insert JPEG image of a screen grab. Not sure if this is working

Capture.JPG

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, that's okay for the Network adapters - do you see any alerts against Non-Plug and Play Drivers.

If there are you can expand those to see which one or more they apply to.

The incremented MS ISATAP adapter #2 has been created by Windows in an attempt to get a connection, so it's okay to right click on it and select Delete as you only need the original.

They appear quite often in my Device Manager.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

lwgorrell (2015-08-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo Many Thanks

Have expanded all items in Device Manager and all are good. Nothing marked with Yellow or
    exclamation points etc.

LWGorrell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Other than checking to see that Airplane Mode is set to OFF I don't think there is anything else you can do from your end to resolve this as the OP in that forum post I'd mentioned, found that resetting the BIOS to defaults didn't have any affect.

I think you will have to contact HP support about this and it doesn't matter if your machine is out of warranty, because if they have issued a BIOS update that has effectively bricked your machine from using wireless - then the ball is in their court.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo

Many thanks to you and all the others that tried to help. Haven't decided if I will contact HP or just get a USB WiFi dongle. The computer is out of warranty.

LWGorrell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Out of warranty of not, I think that when HP issue a BIOS update and that causes problems then they have an obligation to put things right - I'd still contact them because that BIOS update has effectively bricked your machine as far as wireless connectivity is concerned and could have been much worse.

Contact them and don't let them fob you off with any BS - it's their software that has caused the problem.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-16)