5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Doing work while doing your civic duty

FIELD NOTES

Doing work while doing your civic duty

By Tracey Capen

It's an abbreviated version of Field Notes this week, thanks to a jury-duty call for yours truly. Here are a few lessons learned while trying to work on Windows Secrets on government time.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/field-notes/doing-work-while-doing-your-civic-duty/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When faced with a roomful of wi-fi users in a public place your two best options are an eBook reader or, dare i suggest it, an actual book!

Lounger
    Thanks
    In California, when I've been called for jury duty, you can not only come ON the day specified, but can come in any time(maybe two weeks?) AHEAD of that day and time, without notification.

Postponing can be done simply and easily, but not indefinitely, so you can plan when to go in.

Usually, they won't schedule anyone for a longer than 2 week trial without warning and a way to opt out.

Very slick for a government run entity.

RE: unsecured public wifi, I know this is a Windows forum, but there used to be a free utility for Macs to use vpn (via home computer?). Haven't found a simple, free or low cost (no subscription stuff) one for Windows, but if there is one I missed, hopefully someone will chime in.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fortunately most of my jury duty has been at Muni court which has a really decent secured wifi for prospective jurors along with other perks. The county and fed courthouse in my area do indeed suck in so many ways. Never been called to serve on a grand jury.

Two, if you want to get out of jury duty because of the date--and like you I actually enjoy jury duty--toss the "summons" in the shredder. It wasn't served on you and delivery in the mail has no legal consequences unless you admit to receiving and ignoring it. That would be bad. They will simply issue you a new "summons" a couple of months later---I'd suggest you make that one. A judge will rarely let you out of jury duty...there are no hardships. And that is at the point of jury empaneling not showing up for service. You could sit around all day without ever seeing the judge.

I too have a VPN on my laptop. But in such situations I would use my 4GLTE phone connection where I have a high speed, VPN secured connection rather than an unsecured clogged wifi connection anywhere. It is what the cops use when you see them at that doughnut shop on their laptops.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In northern Illinois, where I live (Will County), cell phones, computers, tablets, etc. are specifically banned from the courthouse! This is because witnesses were being photographed by spectators and then later threatened! Everyone entering the courthouse (including prospective jurors), is searched and enters through a metal detector. There are no on site storage facilities, so you have to leave your tech products at home or in your car.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What happens if you have a phone when you arrive?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermier View Post
    In northern Illinois, where I live (Will County), cell phones, computers, tablets, etc. are specifically banned from the courthouse! This is because witnesses were being photographed by spectators and then later threatened! Everyone entering the courthouse (including prospective jurors), is searched and enters through a metal detector. There are no on site storage facilities, so you have to leave your tech products at home or in your car.
    I don't know the courthouse there, but that's a bit overboard if the court is a separate room or rooms than the building itself.

As I've mentioned above, here in San Diego, you can bring in tablet, smartphone, tablet, and there's wifi provided as well.

I suspect that if/when you're on a jury, you'd not be allowed to bring any recording devices in but don't know for sure as it's been a LONG time since I've been on a jury.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a court clerk stationed outside of the door to the building who announces to the prospective jurors the rules, no cameras, cell phones, computers, tablets, etc. You are told to take them back to your car.
    I had to run back to my car and lock it in the trunk.
    But, you do get to take a 2 hour lunch break and you get paid $15 per day!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermier View Post
    Well, then I can see why they might have issues getting people to serve on a jury. ;-)

A similar situation existed at my Co. courthouse, but the sheer volume of people with cell phones and other possible recording devices eventually put an end to the ban; though any public recordings inside a courtroom are forbidden.

Lastly, no juror is going to be permitted to use a device to distract them from listening to testimony. It is the prospective jurors and jurors during recess we are discussing. Even during recess a juror may be prohibited any non-issued devices that could be used for note taking or receiving news or communicating with the outside. Usually jurors are simply sworn they will not discuss with anyone outside the jury details of the ongoing trial or read/listen to any news regarding it. The court frowns on that and often queries the jury in multiday trials regarding such.