New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook won't send emails today

I applied the updates today which included a ton for MS Office. After I rebooted and waited 'forever' for outlook to make my email available I needed to send one and Outlook refused to send it. It has given several different reasons the main one being:
    Task 'Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 Authentication is required before sending [R0107005]'.

No changes were made to my account or the information on my machine. It receives email fine. Anyone know if this could have been caused by one of the new Microsoft updates? Worked yesterday and not today. Has not worked all day.

I also could not send an email from the test account information. I tried the web version of my pop3 address and it sent the message fine.

Office 2013
    Windows 8.1 Update 1

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Have you checked with your ISP for problems at their end?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    currently I appear to be in a loop - ISP (TWC roadrunner and Microsoft seem to be passing it back and forth. Just spent 2 hours with Microsoft tech who could not fix it and supposedly a higher tech will call Friday. Seems obvious to me. Sent mail, did updates, no longer can send.

Thanks for the reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to bother everyone. I had been on vacation just before the updates came out and it appears that my isp made several changes (with no notification) that took place when the update reboot took place. The change in IP of course killed my website but they also changed the ports they were using and this caused the problems. It appears all is now working. Sorry Microsoft for implying you broke another update when it really wasn't your fault!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Glad you got it resolved. Too bad they were not more transparent. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same problem, albeit W 10. Acct settings in Outlook tests for sending and receiving are all positive. I.e. several email accounts - pop, smtp, imap. Sending emails from the same accounts in Outlook 2007 - all negative. 2 days ago it all worked. No settings were changed from my side.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What do you mean Outlook test OK, Outlook 2007 negative?
    Precise details please.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the exact same problem. Looking on the net, I found it is not unknown, and one user said to run "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt. If you type "cmd" in the windows search box, it will give you the program name (cmd) as first entry in the list in an orange box. Right click on this and choose "Run as administrator", then type sfc /scannow in the command window which appears, then hit Return. It should run for a while - around 20 minutes or more - and then returns the address of a log file which details all the system file errors encountered and (hopefully) corrected. That solved my email problems with Outlook on Win10, thank goodness! And probably others too.