New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting information froman unbound Textbox (Access 2000)

I was advised to learn Access through examples in the Northwind Database, which I did and learn't a lot from. I have a question which this doesn't seem to have an example and I can't find the answer through other sources.I use a Form with a few unbound Textboxes which calculate values from other bound Textboxes.I need to refer and SUM these values from the unbound Textboxes in a Report. Does anybody know if this can be done?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Getting information froman unbound Textbox (Access 2000)

You have to sum them manually in the source of the textbox of the report :
    = Cint(forms!frm!Name!text0) + Cint(forms!frm!Name!text1) + Cint(forms!frm!Name!text2) + ...

Replace Cint with CLng, CSng or CDbl according the value you have to treat
    Francois

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The best and safest way to do this is to recreate the calculations in an expression contained in the query underlying your report. This way, you won't depend on the form being opened to when you run your report.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Graham,

This is how I would do it if I wanted the fields to be really unbound, with no underlying query:

Create the required unbound textboxes in the form and save it. Create the report and add the destination "total" textbox. Right click on the the Control Source property for the "total" textbox and click on Build. This will open the Builder. You can then navigate to the form and select the fields you want to add or sum. The control source for the textbox should look like this:

=[Forms]![SumValues]![Value1]+[Forms]![SumValues]![Value2]+[Forms]![SumValues]![Value3]

or

=Sum([Forms]![Value1.. and so on.

I would then put a button on the form to open the report. If the report is opened without the form being opened, the total field will show and error.

Hope this helps,

Rob