Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installed the new updates and everything went nuts, so here's how:

I made an installer out of a 4g thumb drive and put Win10 on my Dell Latitude. All seemed to be going well until this afternoon when I started to customize and personalize the machine. I saw I had some updates. So, I installed the new updates and then, everything went nuts, so here's how:

- A Logitech error message (something to do with a "Set Point Event" - I am using a Logitech mouse) flashed repeatedly to kick off the circus.
    - The screen began flashing, from black to the blue color I'd chosen.
    - The Start panel would flash open, only to close within a half second. It was a real feat to hit the right spot to actually shut the machine down.
    - A box slid in from the right hand side informing me of a problem with iCloud.

I have no idea what to do. I just installed Win 10 a few days ago. I was looking forward to having some fun learning my "new" machine.

Any ideas where I go from here, guys? Thanks to all as usual. You are the greatest bunch.

Jack Lavelle - Phoenix

laeva65@gmail.com

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you can roll back I recommend you roll back. Sony has recommended that VAIO users not upgrade until October when they expect to have updated drivers.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, I'm sorry, I should have made it clear at the start. Despite my handle, I don't have the VAIO any longer. I am running a Dell Latitude with the Win10 installation that's having the trouble. This is my fault.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry. I should've read your original post more closely.

Do these problems happen when you do a clean boot?

Have you tried uninstalling Set Point, downloading the most current version, and re-installing?

Was there any error message with iCloud?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, here's what I plan to do: I've taken the bottom panel off the Latitude E6410. One side issue has been that the machine seemed to be running hot. I went to the store and got some canned air (yike$$$) so I can blow out the fan area. Nothing seems to be clogged up, but who knows?

Then, I'll see what's up with Logitech. If I have Win 10 operating, maybe I can install a driver and THAT problem will go away.

If I just maybe solved the iCloud problem by signing into it today, maybe that won't keep popping up.

QUESTIONS:
    - 1. If I can keep the OS working well enough, should I try to uninstall the latest Windows Update? Since I think that was what started all my troubles?
    - 2. Or should I just go for the total reversal back to Windows 7 Pro like I had it before? I checked the Dell websites and the news wasn't exactly encouraging. Dell hasn't checked the Latitude E6410 with Win 10. I may be jumping the gun.

Once more, thanks a million to all you folks who are generous with your time and brainpower to help out a guy in a pinch.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'd revert to W7 for a while to give you time to sort out the heat issue. Then keep an eye on the drivers and when they seem to be available you can upgrade again.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you were having these problems before upgrading then I agree with Paul. Upgrading a system that is not running smoothly is probably not going to fix the issues. A thorough cleaning of the inside of the machine is the easiest first step for heat problems.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Another thing to consider once you have cleaned it out is the addition of a case fan, if you have a spot to mount it. Or another one, if you already have one. Dont forget to make the airflow to move from the inside of the case outward.

DONT USE A VACUUM CLEANER to clean out the dust - it could generate static and do all kinds of damage to your system board and RAM. Canned air or clean/dry air from a compressor is the preferred method.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found one issue - is this the ONE? - the fan stops.

I cleaned out the inside of the laptop with canned air, and found no appreciable dust accumulation.

So I figured my heat issue might have another cause. Leaving the case bottom off, I started the Dell Latitude E6410. After pushing the button, the fan started up, quickly and quietly. Then it stopped.

I was not having that issue with the machine under Win 7 pro. So I think I'll try to revert. MS tells you this can be done in the first month. It's on ly been a fewd days since I upgraded.

Or, does anyone know of a remedy for dead fan in Win 10?

As usual, thank you all. You're great.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hold on!!! I may be all wrong. The fan seems to be working now. More to come...

Thanks
    Laptop fans usually kick on when needed to dissipate heat buildup, they don't normally run constantly like a desktop. At least that's been my experience.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK end of week report: I seem to have fixed something with the fan.

perhaps something was slowing up the fan and it needed a blast of canned air to get it rolling again. Anyway, there is nowhere near the amount of heat collecting at the bottom of the laptop.

I lucked out at the Logitech site and located a couple of updates that I installed via thumb drive. One thing I noticed: Windows 10 doesn't make it easy to see the USB drive or its contents. You need to poke around in the File Explorer and un-hide it.

That seems to have made things settle down a little bit. But I wouldn't call it smooth sailing. I ran out of time and had to get packed so the wife and I could head out of the heat up to the cabin in the mountains. I happily left the Dell Latitude E6410 behind until Monday.

Once more, thanks to all. You guys are great. Have a good weekend.

Jack Lavelle - Phoenix

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgoat View Post
    DONT USE A VACUUM CLEANER to clean out the dust - it could generate static and do all kinds of damage to your system board and RAM
    Please provide evidence for this statement.

cheers, Paul