Thanks

Remote desktop connection from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

I've tried connecting from my 8.1 PC to my 10 PC, but it tells me it can't do it. It gives me three reasons, remote access to the server not enabled, remote computer not on (yes it is, though the disk thrashing has abated somewhat) and it's not available on the network (yes it is as I can see that data via Network in file explorer). I think the first is the reason but the win 10 PC has the allow remote connections to this computer ticked.

What else might be the problem?

P.s. both PCs have the same username and password, and it worked before I updated to 10 last night
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-08-13 at 06:39. Reason: more info

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is the network marked as private, not public, on both computers?

There's an Incoming Connections troubleshooter at Control Panel, Troubleshooting, Network and Internet which you could try on the Windows 10 PC.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From trial and error I have found the following to work.
    For Remote Desktop to work you must be logged in or logging in the same way on both systems.
    If you are logged in as a local account, not Microsoft email account and you connect to the other system you must login to a local account on that system.
    As long as you know the passwords, you can be logged in on one as John and the other as Joe.
    I have had my best results using non email logins.

When I use my email login, I'm not always successful. I'm still trying to understand all the rules about this connection.

It would be nice if Microsoft would share their rules on using Remote Desktop.

Ron
    Last edited by RonB-TX; 2015-08-13 at 07:41.

Thanks
    Ron, I had no problem logging in with my MS account before I upgraded, the only change is for the PC being logged into being Win 10.

Bruce, the 10 PC is private, but my 8.1 PC says I'm not currently connected to any networks. However, that's the same as it's been for some time, and I can get to Internet and also see shared folders on other PCs. I tried the troubleshooter but nothing seemed to be at issue.

I'm just going to try to go the other way.

Thanks
    Well, I successfully logged in the other way. Does that help in seeing what the problem is?

Thanks
    Well the solution was easy. I suppose that the first port of call for any issue is help. Doesn't always help but this time it did. I just needed to add Remote desktop to the firewall (I use Windows Firewall) and voila, it worked! I can now get rid of the 17" square screen and run it via remote desktop on the 27" screen - or the 19" widescreen I've got as a second screen. Without the keyboard and mouse as well, I'll get a lot of my desk back.

Thanks for the suggestions even if they weren't the answer - always appreciated.