Thread: Windows Updates

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Updates

Hi guys I am confused so I am sorry if this post has been answered elsewhere, I don't want to upgrade to windows 10 yet, my Lenovo laptop runs windows 8.1, if I go to the windows update site it shows 33 important updates but if I start to download / install them it tries to upgrade me to windows 10. So my question is are they just upgrades that are required if I update to windows 10 only or are they 8.1 updates. Thanks Peter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you click on 33 Important Updates you will see what it intends to install and you can uncheck and hide those you don't want by right clicking on them and selecting Hide.

You will see the one which will download the process for Win 10 so that you can deselect that one.

Any others you aren't sure about, click on each then on More info in the right pane - this will open a MS window of what the update is for.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15, it seems that now every time I and presumably everyone does a manual windows update you get the message downloading windows 10 but it doesn't actually download windows 10 unless you have the optional update box to do so ticked.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I assume you have your update settings set to Check for but let me choose...

One update I was offered again this month on one of my Win 7 laptops was KB2952664 which is to ease upgrading - another to help with Win 10, so if you've been offered that one as well, that is another one to hide.

I reserved Win 10 on my other laptop and I didn't get any messages that it was downloading until I allowed its update.

I haven't reserved it on this laptop but uninstalled KB3035583 and I haven't been pestered with anything for Win 10 since except a hint with that update I've hidden.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I have got it set to check but let me choose, cheers and I did initially have that KB update installed but got fed up with it so i uninstalled it also, thanks for the help again.