Thanks

To Clean or Not to Clean ?

cCleaner reveals that it can "clean" my system of 27 Gigs (having upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Win 8.1Pro (64-bit) several days ago). The windows.old file is included in this total.

My system has been performing without any issues since installation (apart from a registry tweak to get MS Money to work).

(I have made an up-to-date system image backup with Acronis TI)

Question 1: Should I go ahead and clean in order to free up disk space, or should I wait until 30 days have passed (when the "revert back to previous OS" option will expire)?

Question 2: Is it too soon to assume that further updates over the next few weeks (in response to input from new users reaches MS) will render my system useless?

(My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1. If you have an image of your W8 then you can clean up as much as you like.
    2. It's always too soon to assume MS won't break something.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Know, that if you had System Restore turned ON, with your old OS, Windows 10 turned it OFF.

So if you want to be protected against an update messing things up for you, Turn ON System Restore.

And if you're absolutely sure that you won't need what's in Windows.Old, then get rid of it.
    Window's Disk Cleanup will do that for you too.

CCleaner trashed my own PC twice, so I won't let it anywhere near my PC.

Good Luck,

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Ordinarily, if everything is going ok, I wouldn't do the cleanup. If there are problems, then I might.

But since you have an up-to-date backup, and since it sounds like you know what you are doing, go for it.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-08-13 at 13:10.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used CCleaner, Glary Utilities and Windows Cleanup since the "final" came out. Just as a test mind. Whether this stable situation continues, only Microsoft knows, but so far so good. The only thing I have to comment on is an Active X "error" that CCleaner cannot clean, as it appears again after every clean. I usually only use CCleaner every few months, usually 'cause I like "clearing my tracks".

Thanks
    I've been using CCleaner to clean my W10 install ( saving all the restore points ) and so far no problems, but CCleaner hasn't put the "Windows.old" in my results yet since I don't have all the checkmarks clicked and you can exclude that folder if you like.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-08-14)

Thanks
    I personally have used CCleaner for years to clean up my junk files as it's very safe in what it does. That being said, if you go to the Search dialog box on the task bar and enter Disk Cleanup you can try Microsoft's built in clean up tool to get of some of your stuff cleaned up. Note that if you do use Disk Cleanup and select Clean Up System Files be advised that your next boot will take a VERY long time to complete.

Thanks
    The default Windows clean up utility works fine in 90% of situations, as does the default defrag/optimize.
    Unless CCleaner is seriously curtailed, it's just not worth using it full powered on a daily basis.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Well, after making a fresh system image backup, I went ahead and let cCleaner cleanup everything (including windows.old). 34Gigs was "removed" as well as a massive, long, list of registry "fixes". I also ran "diskclean" and then I rebooted and all has been fine for 2 days ...

(@ DrWho: Incidentally, I found that System Restore was still turned on after I upgraded from Windows 8.1)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.