2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Date and Time not kept

I use Win 7 Home (32), a 12 inch netbook and for some days now,after opening the computer the next day,the date and time are completely wrong,usually before the actual values.I do reset it,but next day the same occurs.Not a big problem,but is there anything I can do about this.It hasn't happened before.I am on a "home"network,but this started when on vacation and hotel had public (free)wi-fi.Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Macko,

Sounds like the "wristwatch" battery on your motherboard needs replacing; it powers the storage of your date & time (among other things). Exactly which model laptop do you have??

Zig

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-08-13)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can update the time manually from the internet.
    Run this command in a Command Prompt with admin rights: w32tm /resync

cheers, Paul
    Last edited by Paul T; 2015-08-13 at 13:25.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-08-13)

Thanks
    Loosing time settings if often a symptom of a dead or weak CMOS battery. On a netbook it might be a bit hard to get to depending on your Model. You might also check what time server you are using.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zig,
    thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this.My computer is an ASUS model 1201N.I guess when back in Vancouver(I am in Europe until early November)I shall take it to a tech who will change the battery.I never had it changed since I own the machine(purchased Nov.2010)so it lasted long enough.That should be the solution to this"problem"Many thanks again!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for your reply.I tried to various time servers,but all do the same.It must be the battery as Zig suggests.I shall have it done by an expert,because I sure am not one!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Macko,

See the following through Step 14; it's the CMOS battery that needs replacing - not really that hard, but just needs a bit of careful disassembly. ("Don't force it - use a bigger hammer."):

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-a...1201n-netbook/

See also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gpFMF5R0c

and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAj7YDmyAqc

However, the battery itself has to be ordered, as it's not one of the usual "wristwatch" batteries, as in a desktop, than can just be slid into place.

Zig

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-16),macko1944 (2015-08-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zig,Can't thank you enough for the detailed correct information that you sent me.Thank Heavens for experts like you,who don't mid spending their precious time worrying with other people's problems.I am too old and too much of an "Un-expert"to open my computer.I shall leave it to technicians and will have it done once I return home(to Vancouver) in November.Until then I shall just re-adjust the date and correct time every morning when opening the netbook.Very much obliged for you answer though.God bless!!!!!!!