Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Strange .mp3 problem

Previously I have downloaded hundreds of .mp3 files, played them in Winamp, then used mp3Direct Cut to get rid of silences at the beginning and end of the files. I then saved the edited files, adding the figure 1 to the song title to distinguish it from the original, then played them again with Winamp to check they were ok, and finally deleted the original files, deleted the figure 1 from the title of the edited files, and then cut and pasted them to the folders I wanted them in. Now when I try to play the edited files I can't unless I first take ownership of them. I have never had this problem before, and if someone can give me a solution I would be very grateful.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Did you recently upgrade or reinstall Windows? Or, are you using a different Windows user account than you used to use?

Any of these changes could result in the permissions you formerly had not now working.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I did recently reinstall Windows, but I am using the same user (admin) account as before. What can I do to solve the problem?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    When you reinstall Windows, the "same" account is treated by Windows as a different account with the same name and password. The fact that it's an admin account means that it will allow you to take ownership of the files.

But I'm not sure how to take ownership of a bunch of files at one time.

Thanks
    Hi Roy,
    In all my years using a PC, I've never had to take ownership of anything
    My Modus Operandi is to put as little as possible on 'C' drive, and put all on a partition or another built-in hdd.
    I had some files I could not access on a partition, so I copied them to a USB HDD, deleted the originals, copied them to 'C' drive then moved them to my partition.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a delightfully simple utility called, unsurprisingly, TakeOwnership which puts an option to take ownership of files (or folders) into the Windows Explorer right-click context menu.

You can find it here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

Don't be put off by the reference to Vista - I use it with Windows 7 and it performs faultlessly.

PS For Roderunner: you have taken ownership of files - in the case you set out you did that by copying them
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-08-14 at 07:11.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinM For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-08-14)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Martin, thanks but I already had the TakeOwnership utility, and I have never had to use it for edited .mp3 files before. Now, every time I edit .mp3 files with mp3DirectCut I have to take ownership of the folder they reside in before I can play the edited files.

This behaviour has only just started and I don't know why.

Does anybody have a solution?

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As mrjimphelps has described, the underlying cause is likely that the account you are now using isn't the same one after your reinstall.

When you say that you are "using the same user (admin) account as before", what exactly do you mean ? Did you transfer the profile, or just give it the same name ?

Anyway, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling mp3DirectCut.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    PS For Roderunner: you have taken ownership of files - in the case you set out you did that by copying them
    Wrong! I already owned the files, all I did was to let my PC know.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I just gave it the same name.

I uninstalled/reinstalled mp3DirectCut, but it made no difference.

Any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you reinstalled did you get the choice to use from the "particular account you were using" or from "any account" on the PC. The latter would be the better choice.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Martin, I did not get the choice. Any other ideas?

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry - out of ideas, except that there's a discussion forum here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...cfm#discussion
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-08-15 at 18:04.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I took ownership of the Winamp and mp3DirectCut Program folders, then opened their Properties page and made sure that Users and Administrators had full control, and that solved the problem. (I should have realized that a while ago I posted a thread about the same problem, and ended up posting the same solution. Reinstalling Windows must have caused the problem to recur, although I have no idea why it arose).

Thanks to all who replied.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I took ownership of the Winamp and mp3DirectCut Program folders, then opened their Properties page and made sure that Users and Administrators had full control, and that solved the problem. (I should have realized that a while ago I posted a thread about the same problem, and ended up posting the same solution. Reinstalling Windows must have caused the problem to recur, although I have no idea why it arose).

Thanks to all who replied.
    Roy:

Here's why reinstalling Windows caused the problem to recur:

royw in the previous install is not the same user as royw in the current install. Even though the user names match, the permissions don't. You have to reestablish the permissions.

Glad you got it solved.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast