New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry I have 60 laptops to upgrade and it costs money to download 3GB, 60 times!

I hope someone can help me!
    In the past, for Win7Pro, our process for imaging 60 laptops was this:
    • Create a single perfect Win7Pro install on one laptop with all needed software and configurations;
    • Make an image of that one perfect laptop;
    • We have a list of 60 Win7Pro license keys with matching laptop serial numbers;
    • We then copy that image onto all 60 laptops, and then correct the serial number under System/Computer Name, and correct the License Key using System/Change Product Key.

This process has worked well for many years, as we destroy hard drives frequently. When a dead laptop comes in, we put in a new hard drive, re-image it from the master, and then correct the Computer Name (serial number) and the License Key (using System/Change Product Key).

However, with Win10Pro, we have to upgrade each laptop first, just to key the new Win10Pro License key. This is a monumental expense because you have to download 3GB of installation files, 60 times; 180GB! However, after each laptop is upgraded, we then extract the Win10Pro License Key using Belarc or Magical Jelly Bean. Then we create our list of 60 laptops with matching hardware serial numbers and matching Win10Pro License keys.

My questions is this: Will the process we used for Win7Pro, work for Win10Pro? And is there a more economical way to upgrade each laptop (thereby creating the Win10Pro License Key) than to download the upgrade 60 times? We are charged by data usage, so this is expensive. All I need are 60 licenses for my 60 laptops. Thanks!

Oh, and here's a footnote: I just read in PC World that there is no License Key!?! How am I supposed to do my job NOW???
    "A funny thing happens when you look for a product key in Windows 10 after doing the free upgrade: You wonít find them.
    In Windows 10, utilities like Magical Jelly Bean KeyFinder or Belarc Advisor return generic product keys instead of authentic ones. Donít believe me? This is the key Windows 10 Pro users will see in KeyFinder or Belarc Advisor: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T.
    Letís try this PowerShell script from the Hexus forums on Windows 10 Pro. You should get this: T44CG-JDJH7-VJ2WF-DY4X9-HCFC6. Thatís the generic key for build 10240.
    Not a real product key to be seen anywhere.
    " Ian Paul, PCWorld Contributor

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You only have to do one download and create a bootable ISO which the Media Creation Tool will do for you when you select that option and then you just upgrade each machine with that from within Windows using the Upgrade option

The upgrade install then uses the current OS key to self-activate when you skip the prompt to enter a key, but a number of people have had either download or install problems.

MS have facilitated this method so as to upgrade multiple machines instead of downloading 3.09GB to each machine - thoughtful of them really, but I suspect it is more to do with getting as many machines converted to Win 10 as possible.

A word of warning though - some with Nvidia graphics have experienced problems but MS auto installs a compatibility update.

A perusal of the Win 10 section on here will give you some perspective of what you could face.

You can download the relevant version from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softw...load/windows10 and these FAQs may help http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-13 at 18:40.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You only have to do one download and create a bootable ISO which the Media Creation Tool will do for you when you select that option and then you just upgrade each machine with that from within Windows using the Upgrade option

The upgrade install then uses the current OS key to self-activate when you skip the prompt to enter a key, but a number of people have had either download or install problems.

MS have facilitated this method so as to upgrade multiple machines instead of downloading 3.09GB to each machine - thoughtful of them really, but I suspect it is more to do with getting as many machines converted to Win 10 as possible.

A word of warning though - some with Nvidia graphics have experienced problems but MS auto installs a compatibility update.

A perusal of the Win 10 section on here will give you some perspective of what you could face.

You can download the relevant version from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softw...load/windows10 and these FAQs may help http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq
    Thanks, Sudo15! I will give it a go. I am hopeful that this works, otherwise I have to create and store 60 separate images. Blechh!
    Thanks again!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you normally create full system images of the machines prior to upgrading in the past as a fall back or do you just trust to luck ?

You may want to wait until at least the end of October before you upgrade the machines as I believe Win 10 and Edge will be getting some updates about then - at least that is when MS are planning the updates to address some problems.

Edge still seems to be a work in progress and while some are happy with Win 10 - I think that's still a work in progress also.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I create the master laptop, full image of that, keep 3 copies, and the master laptop just sits around receiving updates and the 4 copies (hard drives) are updated each month. Right now, just creating the plan on what to do. We are planning on waiting until February to start the migration to Win10Pro. But we have to have a plan now, in case our existing plan fails.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That sounds like a common sense approach - you can't afford to rush in, into what still seems like a Beta where a business is concerned.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leechipturner View Post
    Thanks, Sudo15! I will give it a go. I am hopeful that this works, otherwise I have to create and store 60 separate images. Blechh!
    Thanks again!
    I just looked in "Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/System" on my Win10 PC, and the "Change product key" link is there. So you should be able to continue using the same procedure.

However, it would make sense to test ASAP in case of unexpected problem(s).

FWIW I think the PC World article in your #1 post is mistaken; probably because at the time it was written Belarc and MJB hadn't been updated to work w/ Win10.

I haven't used Belarc, but have tried MJB but wasn't impressed.

Have had best success extracting licence keys (XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10) using ProduKey ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html ) and/or SIW ( http://www.gtopala.com/ ).

A couple of weeks ago I used ProduKey to extract the licence key from my Win10 system (build 10240, which is apparently the final build). That installation had been upgraded from a previous TP build using an install DVD created from the 10240 ISO. Out of interest I disconnected the HDD from the PC, connected a spare HDD which I then wiped and re-partitioned. I then installed Win10 from the 10240 DVD (all networks disconnected); when setup asked for a product key I entered the key I had extracted which was accepted.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, but if you don't have a Win 10 to work on then you won't have a product key to use with an ISO.

From what I've read of others experience, skipping entering the key results in Win 10 auto activating as it must produce its own key based on the current valid OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Yes, but if you don't have a Win 10 to work on then you won't have a product key to use with an ISO.

From what I've read of others experience, skipping entering the key results in Win 10 auto activating as it must produce its own key based on the current valid OS.
    Tom, maybe you missed my main point: "I just looked in "Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/System" on my Win10 PC, and the "Change product key" link is there. So you should be able to continue using the same procedure".

As I understand it from the #1 post the OP's existing procedure involves making a master image then distributing that image to the other laptops then using the "Change product key" function.

Certainly the OP will have to run the Win10 install on all <>60 laptops to generate a list of serial#/product key once, but after that the OP should be able to use the existing "master image" procedure.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Would not these laptops have OEM keys?
    This might alter the situation.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Would not these laptops have OEM keys?
    This might alter the situation.
    Makes no difference. The vast majority of upgrades to Windows 10 started with Windows 7/8 OEM keys.

They will all have the same product key after upgrade anyway.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    ...They will all have the same product key after upgrade anyway.
    Maybe, maybe not. That is one aspect the OP needs to test.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In a past life, if you had identical laptops (or computers) and had a licensed Enterprise key, you could image all drives the same and then run newsid as needed for each individual PC once you did so. May not work for Win10 though.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...1-0edc4649bf43

cheers, Paul