Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

VBA code needed for paragraph and bold within text box--Word 2003

I have been asked to add a text box to a global Macro and was able to find a small bit of information on the Internet as to how this can be done, but I can't find information anywhere as to how to insert a paragraph and bold the writing within the text box. Also, it seems the Macro recorder will not work when trying to capture the steps of inserting a text box or shape. I know this is something simple, but it is difficult when you don't know how to do it and can't find the information anywhere. The code I have is below. I appreciate any help you can give me, as this is a doctor that wants the text box added to the top of her report format. She also wants a picture added, so I'm sure I will be asking for help on that after I get this issue resolved.

Sub test2()

Dim Box As Shape
    Set Box = ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddTextbox( _
    Orientation:=msoTextOrientationHorizontal, _
    Left:=75, Top:=75, Width:=300, Height:=75)
    Box.TextFrame.TextRange.text = "This is my text that I would like bolded, with a new line of text that follows."

End Sub

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Try:
    Code:
    Sub test2()
    Dim Box As Shape
    With Box.TextFrame.TextRange
      .Text = "This is my text that I would like bolded." & vbCr
      .Font.Bold = True
      .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
      .Text = "This is my new line of text."
      .Font.Bold = False
    End With
    End Sub
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for your help, Macropod. Works like a charm!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, I knew that seemed too easy. Is there any way to make the text within the text box to stay in Calibri 11 pt font? The entire report format and Macro code is in Calibri 11 pt font, but the text within the box is coming out as Times New Roman 12 pt for some reason. I cannot find any code within the box that seems to need changing, except for maybe; Orientation:=msoTextOrientationHorizontal, _, but that snippet of code seems to be only for positioning?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    By default, textboxes are initialized with Word's Normal Style. Presumably, then, the Normal Style in your document uses 12pt TNR. To get 11pt Calibri, you could insert:
    .Font.Name = "Calibri"
    .Font.Size = 11
    before:
    .Collapse wdCollapseEnd

Note: Overriding Style attributes this way isn't ideal. It would be better to use Styles to control the formatting throughout. For example:
    Code:
    Sub test2()
    Dim Box As Shape
      .Text = "This is my text that I would like bolded." & vbCr
      .Style = "StyleName1"
      .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
      .Text = "This is my new line of text."
      .Style = "StyleName2"
    End With
    End Sub
    where StyleName1 & StyleName2 are Styles formatted with the appropriate attributes.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not accustomed to assigning styles, but I think I did it properly. I recorded a Macro when assigning the new styles so that I could get the code. Normal was assigned to NTR 12 pt, and Style1 was assigned to Calibri 11 pt. I then took the code from the newly created styles and placed it in the previous code, running a test Macro, which ran but did not change the font. Here is the code that I used:

Dim Box As Shape
    .text = "This is my text that I would like bolded." & vbCr
    Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Normal")
    .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
    .text = "This is my new line of text."
    Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Style1")

I then tried your other suggestion of inserting

.Font.Name = "Calibri"
    .Font.Size = 11
    before:
    .Collapse wdCollapseEnd

which worked great. If I were to use styles, could the code be written into the Macro and shared with other people? I am assuming styles are based off of each individual's computer settings and that other people using the Macro would need to have the same style and code language on their end as well? I plan on sharing this Macro with seven other people, so would it be best to go with the font change code before .Collapse wdCollapseEnd? I am assuming it is best not to override style attributes because it can make the Macro "wonky?"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I already gave you exactly the code you need for assigning Styles, except for the actual names, so I don't understand why you'd think you need to code it differently. The fact your test macro didn't change the font only demonstrates the effect of doing otherwise. Apart from that, it's also clear your Normal Style doesn't use 11pt Calibri; otherwise, that's what the textbox would display already.

As for sharing the code, if the other users are using a document in which the Styles called by the macro exist, or is attached to a template in which they exist, the other users should be able to use the code. Indeed, you should be able to use just a single new Style, which you apply to the whole textbox for a non-bold font, then apply Word's built-in Strong character Style to bold the first paragraph. For example:
    Code:
    Sub test2()
    Dim Box As Shape
      .Style = "MyCalibri11ptStyle"
      .Text = "This is my text that I would like bolded." & vbCr & "This is my new line of text."
      .Paragraphs.First.Range.Style = "Strong"
    End With
    End Sub
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your patience and the time you are taking to explain these things to me. As mentioned previously, I am not familiar with Styles, their names, or how to assign them because that is something I have never done before. I have a basic understanding of the concept, which is that Word saves different styles to its normal.dot template. When I open Word, the font is TNR 12 pt, so it makes sense that is the normal style.

Your previous code did not work and generated a run-time error, so I thought I needed to assign specific styles to get the style name needed to replace the part of the code I had highlighted in red (I did this by clicking on Format, Styles and Formatting, created the style, ran the Macro recorder to capture the code, and replaced the line in your code that is highlighted in red). The code in your last message also generated a run-time error, but you did say that the code is exactly what was needed, only I needed the actual style names. How would I go about getting the actual names to place in the code? I'm sorry I sound so ignorant here, but, again, it is not something I have had to do in the past.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As I have told you twice now, you need to use Style names that actually exist in your document (or its template); it's hardly surprising, therefore that you get an error when you try to tell Word to use a Style that doesn't exist.

So, to get the macro to work, create a paragraph Style that uses 11pt Calibri, then replace 'MyCalibri11ptStyle' in the last lot of code I gave you with that Style's name. That's all there is to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atelby12 View Post
    I have a basic understanding of the concept, which is that Word saves different styles to its normal.dot template. When I open Word, the font is TNR 12 pt, so it makes sense that is the normal style.
    That's only true if you tell Word to do so; otherwise the Style only gets added to the document you create it in. And, if you're going to share the code via Word's Normal template, that's exactly what you'll need to do. The only other option would be to have the macro create the Style too. For example:
    Code:
    Sub Demo()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim Box As Shape
    Const StlNm As String = "BoxStyle"
    Call TestStyle(StlNm)
    With ActiveDocument
      Set Box = .Shapes.AddTextbox( _
        .Style = StlNm
        .Text = "This is my text that I would like bolded." & vbCr & "This is my new line of text."
        .Paragraphs.First.Range.Style = "Strong"
      End With
    End With
    Set Box = Nothing
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

Sub TestStyle(StlNm As String)
    Dim Stl As Style, bFnd As Boolean
    With ActiveDocument
      bFnd = False
      For Each Stl In .Styles
        If Stl.NameLocal = StlNm Then
          bFnd = True
          Exit For
        End If
      Next
      If bFnd = False Then
        Set Stl = .Styles.Add(Name:=StlNm, Type:=wdStyleTypeParagraph)
        Call FormatBoxStyle(Stl)
      End If
    End With
    Set Stl = Nothing
    End Sub

Sub FormatBoxStyle(Stl As Style)
    With Stl
      .BaseStyle = ""
      .NextParagraphStyle = "Normal"
      .NoSpaceBetweenParagraphsOfSameStyle = False
      With .Font
        .Name = "Calibri"
        .Size = 11
        .ColorIndex = wdAuto
        .Bold = False
        .Italic = False
        .Underline = wdUnderlineNone
      End With
      With .ParagraphFormat
        .TabStops.ClearAll
        .LeftIndent = 0
        .RightIndent = 0
        .FirstLineIndent = 0
        .Alignment = wdAlignParagraphCenter
        .SpaceAfter = 0
        .SpaceBefore = 0
        .LineSpacingRule = wdLineSpaceSingle
      End With
    End With
    End Sub
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-08-14 at 21:31.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand now. My mistake was that I thought the example shown in your code had to be worded exactly the same, even though you did put it within quotes to show me it was an example. I assigned Calibri 11 pt to a paragraph style, which was named Style1. I then placed that name in the code, and it worked (replaced the part in the code from; .Style = "StyleName1" to .Style = "Style1"). Thanks again for taking the time to explain this to me.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Two boxes around image - VBA Word 2003

As I thought, I am stuck on the code for inserting an image and placing two boxes/borders around it (not sure of the correct terminology -- inline shape or border?). I have completed the code for the entire document but two issues I am stuck on and am hoping someone can help. I will list the other issue as a separate topic/thread in order to avoid confusion. I am not familiar with writing code for styles, which seems to be my main issue. I have searched for hours on the Internet in hopes of finding code I could use as an example and in my Microsoft Word 2000 book but can't find anything that helps. I have been able to insert the picture and re-size and position it. Since I am not familiar with writing code for styles, I used the previous code Macropod gave me and altered it, which I know is not correct in this case. The previous code was for a text box, which I altered to create thicker lines. This seemed to work, except it put a dark line around the picture and then bits of a thinner line in places. I am trying to get a 3 pt line directly around the photo so that it touches the edges and then a larger 0.5 pt line around that one. I will list the code below. The below bolded code is from the previous text box that Macropod provided, and I am only listing the code in case the information is needed for the current code I am trying to figure out (or if there is a conflict). The previous text box sits directly to the left of the picture I am trying to frame on the right of the text box.
    Code:
    Sub test()
    '
    Dim Box As Shape
    Left:=74, Top:=25, Width:=300, Height:=75)
      .Style = "Style1"
      .Text = " " & vbCr
      .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
      .Text = " 0000 Mockingbird Lane, Suite 13" & vbCr
      .Font.Bold = True
      .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
      .Text = " Cucamonga, CA 00000" & vbCr & vbCr
      .Font.Bold = True
      .Collapse wdCollapseEnd
      .Text = " (000) 000-0000 / EmailAddress@gmail.email"
      .Font.Bold = True
      Dim imagePath As String
      imagePath = "J:\EMAIL\AEV logo.jpg"
      ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddPicture FileName:="J:\EMAIL\AEV logo.jpg", _
        LinkToFile:=False, _
        SaveWithDocument:=True, _
        Left:=7, _
        Top:=-150, _
        Anchor:=Selection.Range, _
        Width:=45, _
        Height:=70

Dim Box2 As Shape
      Set Box2 = ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddTextbox( _
        Left:=420, Top:=23, Width:=90, Height:=73)
      With Box2.TextFrame.TextRange
        .Style = "Style2"

End With

Dim Eye As String
      Eye = "J:\EMAIL\Eye Image.jpg"
      ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddPicture FileName:="J:\EMAIL\Eye Image.jpg", _
        LinkToFile:=False, _
        SaveWithDocument:=True, _
        Left:=350, _
        Top:=-150, _
        Anchor:=Selection.Range, _
        Width:=86, _
        Height:=58

End Sub
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-08-17 at 04:42. Reason: Added code tags & formatting

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Atelby12 View Post
    As I thought, I am stuck on the code for inserting an image and placing two boxes/borders around it (not sure of the correct terminology -- inline shape or border?). I have completed the code for the entire document but two issues I am stuck on and am hoping someone can help. I will list the other issue as a separate topic/thread in order to avoid confusion. I am not familiar with writing code for styles, which seems to be my main issue. I have searched for hours on the Internet in hopes of finding code I could use as an example and in my Microsoft Word 2000 book but can't find anything that helps. I have been able to insert the picture and re-size and position it. Since I am not familiar with writing code for styles, I used the previous code Macropod gave me and altered it, which I know is not correct in this case.
    I already provided you with code to do exactly that in my last post. Did you read it?
    The previous code was for a text box, which I altered to create thicker lines. This seemed to work, except it put a dark line around the picture and then bits of a thinner line in places. I am trying to get a 3 pt line directly around the photo so that it touches the edges and then a larger 0.5 pt line around that one.
    Try something like:
    Code:
    Set Box = ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddPicture(FileName:="J:\EMAIL\AEV logo.jpg", _
        LinkToFile:=False, SaveWithDocument:=True, Left:=7, Top:=-150, _
        Anchor:=Selection.Range, Width:=45, Height:=70)
    With Box.Line
      .Weight = 4.5
      .DashStyle = msoLineSolid
      .Style = msoLineThinThick
      .Transparency = 0#
      .Visible = msoTrue
      .ForeColor.ObjectThemeColor = wdThemeColorText1
      .ForeColor.TintAndShade = 0#
      .BackColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 255)
    End With
    PS: When posting code, please use the code tags. They're on the 'Go Advanced' tab at the bottom of this screen.

PPS: I've merged both threads, as the first part of the topic is just a continuation and the second, which also refers to shape manipulation, is closely related.
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-08-17 at 06:12.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Macropod. I will try your suggestion after I have finished my workday. I will also remember to put code tags around future code.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the information, Macropod. I played around with the code and came up with some interesting effects I had not anticipated. I did not accomplish what I had set out to do, but the text box and logo I have now will work just fine. I still have a couple of questions regarding the text box and code.

1. Is there a way to anchor the text box so it does not move around on the page when typing?

2. Can I share the Macro with others without their needing to store the pictures and create the same style on their end?

I am guessing there is no way to share the Macro with other people without their having the pictures saved in a folder on their end and the code re-written to reflect the folder where the pictures are stored, as well as their needing to create the same style so that it matches the text box font, but I thought I would ask before assuming that. I installed the Macro in another person's computer today and tried it out, only to receive multiple Macro errors. Once I re-wrote the code to find the pictures in a folder on that person's computer and created the style, the Macro worked fine. However, there are seven other transcriptionists that I need to set up with this Macro in case they should type the doctor's work in the future, and it is going to be a huge pain if I have to do this on each person's computer and remember to do the same in the future for another person. Again, I think I already know the answer but am hoping to be proven wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to educate me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The code can be written multiple ways to allow it to work on other computers. Personally, I would place the graphics into the template itself as building blocks so there is no need to import them from external files. However, you could also have the code search a folder relative to the template - for example
    Eye = ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate.Path & "\Eye Image.jpg"

To anchor the text box to a specific location on the page, have a look at the positioning attributes you have assigned to it. By default, the positioning is relative to the 'anchoring paragraph' but you can easily change it to be relative to the page itself or the column margins. To explore the text box positioning attributes right click on the border of the text box and choose More Layout Options > Position. You can code these settings into your macro but again, it would be easier to do it via the GUI and then store it with those settings as a building block in the template.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast