Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a version of W10 for new computer that does not have games and spyware?

I have waited to have a new desktop built until Windows 10 was released. I would be perfectly happy with my aging Vista machine if I didn't want to edit Blu-Ray video, but I do. Now that I am reading about W10 I am very disappointed about Microsoft being so determined to pry into my machine and download what I would consider to be bloatware and spyware if it came on a new computer. It seems to me that W10 on a desktop will be more like phone operating systems that include unwanted, undeletable services, plus new unwanted stuff appearing with OS updates.

Is there a version of W10 that makes sense for individual users that does not come with Candy Crush and such, and does not require me to be constantly vigilant that a new update will, Facebook-like, change my settings in the direction of greater intrusion by Microsoft? I'm just not up to going to Linux.

I own a pack of three OEM licenses for W7. Is my best option to have one of these installed on my new computer?

Thanks
    Unless you own a business there are only 2 flavors of W10 that I know of, Home and Pro and W10 is not the most stable OS yet. It will take some time before it is ready for prime time.
    From reading your post, I think you may be happier on w7 for now. It's good until 2020. Not being judgmental, but you don't really sound like you want to go to w10.
    Good luck in your decisions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-08-14)

Thanks
    No version of W10 contains PUPs, which is what you are referring to. Even the previously free games are no longer included and have to be downloaded from the App Store if you want them. You do get the new Edge browser, which is apparently a work in progress, but fortunately you don't have to use it as Internet Explorer 11 is still included and will continue to receive security updates. You also get the Cortana personal assistant, but again, using it is optional. As for the intrusive gathering of data, yes, its turned on by default but its not difficult to disable some or all of it.
    As for the W7 licenses, if you install W7 on your new PC, you will be able to download W10 for free, should you decide to try it.
    On the question of stability, so far I've found it to be almost problem free, having only had to uninstall one misbehaving program.
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2015-08-13 at 21:13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-08-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There are articles about how to turn off many of the data gathering tasks. Don't use express settings when setting up Win10.

OTOH, if you want to use Cortana or other Win10 features they work better with more data. If you want personalized recommendations they need your personal data and actions. People who don't care that Google looks at everything are making a big deal out of what Windows is doing. I think it is much overblown.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-08-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you to all of you. I may have been overreacting. Will research whether to go with Home or Pro.