3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect image making time.

I save images to an internal second hard drive, Western Digital, and a Toshiba small external drive, both 500GB and both nearly full. I recently had occasion to revert the computer to a previous state, the Toshiba took over eleven hours and unfortunately I accidentally cancelled the re-boot just after it had started. To save time I restored a slightly older image from the internal drive - this took less than an hour. Is this difference in reverting time typical of a full size drive against a small external drive or is there a problem with the Toshiba - it seems OK in other respects.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I assume you booted via CD/USB to recover. This will load generic drivers for the USB which may just be slow.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-08-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mike,

I take & restore all my Images with Macrium Reflect Premium using the Windows PE Rescue media. I've setup a partition on my many external drives so that I can boot from the same device I image and restore from. Using both USB 3.0 and 2.0 as the machine allows I've never experienced restore times of more than a little over 1.5 hours!. Also, If you created the Win PE restore media from the machine your are restoring it should have copied the drivers from that machine when making the media. It will warn you if it can't find a driver and there are procedures you can take to get the proper drivers loaded. I had to do this with the network drivers for my main Win 8.1 Dell computer.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-08-15)

Thanks
    Same here as RG, it take approx 30 min, no longer, from on another internal HDD. (image recovery)
    40 min to an hour on an external drive. (recovery)
    This is on a system with bare minimal data+OS entanglements. With 7 internally connected
    drives there's just no reason not to have a lean OS drive.

The more data on the drive image, obviously, the longer it will take.
    I don't know about restoring an image from a storage drive that is full, but I don't
    imaging it'll be benaficial.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-08-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The restore was done using a Macrium Linux boot disk made three years ago - when I tried to make a PE one at the same time that failed. Both the image on the internal second drive and the one on the external "small" drive were made within three weeks of each other - it is just that the external drive image took eleven hours to restore and the internal normal size drive took about an hour; my query was whether that speed difference is to be expected. I have just installed the new version of Reflect Free and that makes a Windows PE boot disk as the only option by default - this time the boot disk tested OK.