Thanks

The first Windows® 10 Start menu alternative.

Stardock has made an app for changing the new win 10 start menu to look more like the win 7 start menu in case you still don't like the new start menu.
    Sure didn't take them long, LOL.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Thanks
    What do you think of the latest version of Classic Shell, which was available on 9th August?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Not to mention Start Is Back: http://startisback.com/

I used Classic Shell in Windows 8 but I find the Windows 10 Start Menu acceptable. I try to minimize the use of add ons to help keep my system as stable as possible.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    What do you think of the latest version of Classic Shell, which was available on 9th August?
    Looks nice Batcher, a lot like win 7.

Not to mention Start Is Back: http://startisback.com/
    That looks pretty good also Jerry. But as you mentioned, until things settle down with Win 10, I think I'll wait. I've just never been much of a tile fan but it'll do for now.

Thanks
    You can eliminate all or most of the tiles on the Start Menu by right clicking on them and selecting "unpin from Start". You can also customize the tile sizes you do want by selecting resize after a right click. I pin my most used apps to the task bar and pin the next most used apps to Start. I disabled Cortana and turned Search On Line to off so the search box just includes local files. so I use the search box and as a last resort all apps for the rest of the programs. All this obviates the need for a Start Menu replacement. YMMV

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You can eliminate all or most of the tiles on the Start Menu by right clicking on them and selecting "unpin from Start". You can also customize the tile sizes you do want by selecting resize after a right click. I pin my most used apps to the task bar and pin the next most used apps to Start. I disabled Cortana and turned Search On Line to off so the search box just includes local files. so I use the search box and as a last resort all apps for the rest of the programs. All this obviates the need for a Start Menu replacement. YMMV

Jerry
    This is all good advice,great way to set up WIN10.

Thanks
    Yeah, I went through the tiles and changed them to a workable situation, unpinning some, resizing others and making new groups for apps I use often and pinned others to the taskbar. At some point in time though I will be getting rid of them as I just don't care for the look of tiles. I also turned off Cortana as I really have no use for it. I dislike Edge immensely, at least at this point in time.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I like Classic Shell. I installed it on Windows 10 Pro installed on a VMware Player virtual machine. I chose Classic Shell because it is free. If I upgrade a hardware machine to Windows 10, I would be willing to pay $4.95 for Start 10, if I thought it was better, but so far I haven't tried it, so I don't know about it.
    Last edited by Prescott; 2015-08-16 at 13:16. Reason: Fix typo

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    All this obviates the need for a Start Menu replacement. YMMV

Jerry
    I agree, when I upgraded to Win 10, Start 8 came with me (and worked) and later I tried Start 10.
    However I decided to give the native start menu a try and found it more responsive and simpler.
    The key is to disable what you don't want and pin what you do; works pretty well.