Thanks

Question Outlook Web App via Chrome won't attach a file to a new email

We use hosted Microsoft Exchange 2010 for our email. Most of us have the Outlook client on our computers, but sometimes it is necessary to access email via a browser using the Outlook Web App (OWA) interface of our Exchange Server. Our main cloud-based line-of-business software provider wants us to use Chrome.

If I open OWA under Chrome it works fine EXCEPT when I try to attach a file to an email I'm composing. I don't get any error message. The draft email just does nothing. When I use Firefox or IE to log on to OWA and compose a message, they WILL attach a file to a new message. I checked with our hosted mail provider and all they can tell me is that it's a known issue with Exchange Server.

This happens on any version of Windows on any of our computers for any of our email users.

Is this really a known problem endemic to MS Exchange Server? I'm looking for options that will let us stay on Chrome for OWA.

Thanks!
    Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe installing Silverlight is the solution: OWA features broken with latest Chrome update

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

OneDave (2015-08-14)

Thanks

Silverlight as already installed

Thanks for your suggestion. I did not know about the Silverlight issue. However, two of the systems I just looked at already have Silverlight installed (version 5.1.40416.0).
    Dave

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I forgot that Chrome is dropping support for Silverlight and Java plugins:

Plugins that use NPAPI, including Silverlight, Java, and Unity, won’t work
    If you must use a NPAPI plugin, there’s a temporary workaround that will work until Chrome version 45 is released later in 2015:

NPAPI plugins don't work on Chrome version 42 and higher

You could therefore enable Silverlight in Chrome now, but not for much longer. So Chrome is not now a good choice to use with Outlook Web Access.

The same difficulty now occurs with the Edge browser of Windows 10, where the light version of OWA (from check box at login) is the only alternative to Silverlight:

Outlook Web Access (OWA) Problems in Edge

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

OneDave (2015-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanks! Unfortunately, on my Chrome 44 installation the NPAPI is enabled but I still have the OWA problem.

I have no intention of installing Windows 10 at this time. When I do in the future, I will disable Edge until it gets passing reviews from sources I trust.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. THey look like they should have done the trick, but didn't. Any other suggestions for this OWA issue that can keep us on Chrome would be appreciated!
    Dave

Thanks
    Temporary solution: When launching OWA, select the "lite" version option. Then we can attach files.
    Thanks!

Dave