Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

HP Wifi Direct, Officejet 5740, connect automatically?

New HP Officejet 5740 printer, couple year old Pavilion 500-098 computer, Windows 10. I don't have wifi, so rather than using an Ethernet or USB connection for the printer, I used HP's Wifi Direct. Connected the printer to the computer, installed software and drivers, everything went well, everything works. When the printer is on and I click on the system tray network icon, the printer is listed there, and is set to automatically connect. I thought that meant that when I tried to print something, my computer would automatically connect to the printer, and it would print. But this doesn't happen. I need to click on the system tray network icon, click on the printer, then click on "Connect". I don't have to do this every time I want to print something, just the first time I want to print something after I've turned on the computer and / or printer. Not a big thing, I'm just wondering if there's a setting somewhere that I have to turn on (or off)? I asked this in HP's support forum a few days ago, but so far haven't received any replies.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Probably a consequence of having 2 networks on your computer. Using a cable from you router to the printer would fix it.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Probably a consequence of having 2 networks on your computer. Using a cable from you router to the printer would fix it.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for the reply. You may be right, but the reason I connected the printer using Wifi Direct was because I didn't want to use a cable to connect it. None of the information I've read about HP's Wifi Direct mentions anything about having to click on the system tray network icon to connect the printer after it or the computer has been off. So I thought maybe I was missing something.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like there's no workaround for this. If you connect your printer using Wifi Direct, whenever the printer or computer has been turned off and back on, you can't print unless you first connect the printer by going through the system tray network access icon. Why doesn't HP mention this anywhere in their Wifi Direct guides?

When this happened to me, I thought something had gone wrong with my printer setup. I was able to figure out what the problem was, but I was getting quite frustrated and annoyed. One or two sentences explaining about the system tray network access in one of HP's Wifi Direct guides would have helped me a great deal. I wonder how many people couldn't figure it out, gave up on Wifi Direct, and ended up buying a USB cable to connect their printer

Thanks
    The router does not have WIFI?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I have a different model ( HP Officejet Pro 8100 ) but should be the same as to the WiFi hookup/installation. I have 3 computers ( 2 win 7 and 1 Win 10 ) and I don't have to click anything other than the print icon to get something printed. I don't have to click anything in the system tray, never have had to. When any of the 3 computers are on, I can start the printer and they all see and can use it.
    I think something went wrong on your original setup or your router/firewall is looking for an ok to use it for some reason.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    The router does not have WIFI?
    No, it's not a wireless router. It's a cable modem, cable wire connects to the modem, and the modem is connected to the computer with an Ethernet cable to the computer's Ethernet port.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I have a different model ( HP Officejet Pro 8100 ) but should be the same as to the WiFi hookup/installation. I have 3 computers ( 2 win 7 and 1 Win 10 ) and I don't have to click anything other than the print icon to get something printed. I don't have to click anything in the system tray, never have had to. When any of the 3 computers are on, I can start the printer and they all see and can use it.
    I think something went wrong on your original setup or your router/firewall is looking for an ok to use it for some reason.
    Remember, I don't have WiFi here. And I don't have a router, it's a cable modem. I used HP's WiFi Direct to connect the printer to the computer. WiFi Direct is different than regular WiFi, it's for people (like me) who don't have WiFi. I assume it works by the printer sending out a WiFi signal that the computer finds.

Thanks
    Ahhh, I guess that's the difference in access then.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Ahhh, I guess that's the difference in access then.
    Thanks for trying to help.

In HP's WiFi Direct guides they make out as if a printer connected to a computer with their WiFi Direct is exactly the same as connecting a printer with regular WiFi, but it's not - you have the (minor) annoyance that I ran into (having to connect every time the printer or computer has been shut off and back on). I'm thinking that HP doesn't want to mention this fact in their WiFi Direct guides, because people might think "well, that sucks a little bit". After a person buys an HP printer and connects it with WiFi Direct and discovers this glitch - well, it's a bit late, they've already bought the printer...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to make things clear, I like the printer and would have bought it even if I'd known before hand about the WiFi Direct annoyance. I just think that HP should mention this in their WiFi Direct guides so that people who connect using WiFi Direct won't think they've screwed something up (like I thought).

Thanks
    Reading thru the guides I noted that with the HP flavor of WIFIdirect you can not connect to the internet and print at the same time. While this does not seem to be the flavor on your printer it maybe worth noting. I gather there is no plane adhoc option in the HP wizard?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Reading thru the guides I noted that with the HP flavor of WIFIdirect you can not connect to the internet and print at the same time. While this does not seem to be the flavor on your printer it maybe worth noting. I gather there is no plane adhoc option in the HP wizard?

I am able to connect to the Internet and print at the same time. I think you were reading about HP's "Wireless Direct" which is an older version of their "WiFi Direct". With "Wireless Direct" you can't connect to the Internet and use the printer at the same time, but with "WiFi Direct" you can. As for you question, do you mean the printer install wizard? When I ran it, it downloaded and installed the drivers needed, and installed the printer, but to get WiFi Direct to work I had to press the Wifi Direct icon on the printer screen to turn WiFi Direct on, then it showed up on my computer and I entered the WiFi Direct password, and the printer finished installing.

Thanks
    I was just wondering if you had access to plain old ad hoc mode.

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just wondering if you had access to plain old ad hoc mode.

Since I'm not sure what that would be, I'd have to say I have no idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast