Thanks

Kaspersky Lab accusations

I highlighted who the accusations are from because so far it is just that, accusations.

Exclusive: Russian antivirus firm faked malware to harm rivals - Ex-employees

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...technologyNews

Beginning more than a decade ago, one of the largest security companies in the world, Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab, tried to damage rivals in the marketplace by tricking their antivirus software programs into classifying benign files as malicious, according to two former employees.

They said the secret campaign targeted Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O), AVG Technologies NV (AVG.N), Avast Software and other rivals, fooling some of them into deleting or disabling important files on their customers' PCs.

Some of the attacks were ordered by Kaspersky Lab's co-founder, Eugene Kaspersky, in part to retaliate against smaller rivals that he felt were aping his software instead of developing their own technology, they said.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I haven't seen evidence of this in the field, although I have seen AV vendors disable Windows by mistake.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Saw the story the other day. If true, very sad indeed but I'm not surprised. Heard rumors that anti-virus companies created malware in order to make them still pertinent to the masses. Whether true or not, sometimes if it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, it must be a fish.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Scare factor.

Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Saw the story the other day. If true, very sad indeed but I'm not surprised. Heard rumors that anti-virus companies created malware in order to make them still pertinent to the masses. Whether true or not, sometimes if it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, it must be a fish.
    Sorry folks, but a lot of what you read and hear are scare factors designed by marketing companies to make you "BUY" more or "better" software. I am still using some software from the early 90's and they work perfectly. As always, it is up to you, who you believe.