Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD RW drive not working right

In the past, when I pop a disk in my DVD RW (E) drive, it would spin up and I'd get as message on the screen asking me if I wanted to open that disk. Now it spins up and runs for quite a while - but no message? Do I need a new drive?

Thanks
    If you look at the drive in Device Manager does it say "This device is working properly"?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    What operating system are you running? And is the DVD drive IDE or SATA?

Have you checked the drive's cable connections, to make sure that both the data and power cables are securely connected on both ends?

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay and check that the defaults are set to "Ask me every time" for each choice of disk. It sounds as if the settings have been changed to "Take no action".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To: Coochin
    Everything in Device Manager (including the DVD RW)shows up to be "Working correctly".
    Last edited by lodidad1; 2015-08-17 at 00:31.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To Calimanco:
    All Control Panel\Auto Play items are set to "Ask me very time"
    Last edited by lodidad1; 2015-08-17 at 00:30.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To:mrjimphelps:
    I'm running Win7 SP1 and I assume the DVD drive id IDE. I'll have to open the system case to check cable connections. I'll do that tomorrow and get back to you then. (I lived in Phelps, Wisconsin a while ago.).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lodidad1 View Post
    To:mrjimphelps:
    I'm running Win7 SP1 and I assume the DVD drive id IDE. I'll have to open the system case to check cable connections. I'll do that tomorrow and get back to you then. (I lived in Phelps, Wisconsin a while ago.).
    Lodidad:

The drive is probably SATA; but if it is IDE, I would recommend that you change to SATA, if you can't find any other way to fix this problem. IDE is becoming obsolete, and therefore you may be bumping up against an incompatibility with a Windows update, or something similar. You could also go with a USB external DVD drive; but I personally prefer an internal SATA drive to an external USB drive.

I had a situation once with an IDE drive. I was upgrading from XP to 7. My Windows 7 install disk would not work in the drive, so I swapped the IDE drive for an identical IDE drive. Same error. So I put in a SATA drive, and the problem disappeared.

Phelps, Wisconsin! Man! The Phelps' are all over the place!

Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Jim

I guess I'll accept your suggestion and buy a SATA drive. Presumably it'll fit in the same space as my current drive.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Jim

I just ordered a Seagate 1TB SATA 30 Desktop 3.5 inch internal hard which should arrive at my home tomorrow. I ordered it from Staples, so if it doesn't fit or work out, I can return it to the local store for a full refund. My only concern at this point is the space and connections in my computer. Hopefully everything will work out. Comments?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Lodidad:

The drive is probably SATA; but if it is IDE, I would recommend that you change to SATA, if you can't find any other way to fix this problem. IDE is becoming obsolete, and therefore you may be bumping up against an incompatibility with a Windows update, or something similar. You could also go with a USB external DVD drive; but I personally prefer an internal SATA drive to an external USB drive.

I had a situation once with an IDE drive. I was upgrading from XP to 7. My Windows 7 install disk would not work in the drive, so I swapped the IDE drive for an identical IDE drive. Same error. So I put in a SATA drive, and the problem disappeared.

Phelps, Wisconsin! Man! The Phelps' are all over the place!

Jim
    I'm having the opposite problem in Windows 10. My SATA DVD burner works fine when I boot to Windows 7 but hangs when I try to burn a DVD in Windows 10. Temporarily installed an old IDE burner and it works fine in Windows 10. Just goes to show YMMV.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2015-08-17 at 19:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lodidad1 View Post
    Hi, Jim

I just ordered a Seagate 1TB SATA 30 Desktop 3.5 inch internal hard which should arrive at my home tomorrow. I ordered it from Staples, so if it doesn't fit or work out, I can return it to the local store for a full refund. My only concern at this point is the space and connections in my computer. Hopefully everything will work out. Comments?
    If you have a standard desktop computer, and it no older than, say, 10 years (so that the computer has SATA connections on the motherboard), then it will work.

But I am concerned about something you just said: did you order a DVD drive or a hard drive? Either one will fit, but I understood that you were having an issue with the DVD drive, not the hard drive.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    MS has a Fix it to repair Autoplay which may save you the cost of a new disk drive. http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...s.aspx?id=2648

It also has a Fix it for cannot read/burn disks which you could also try. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...problems/en-us

From the post it does seem like an internal HDD has been ordered instead of a CD/DVD player.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-08-17 at 17:34.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-08-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I'm having the opposite problem in Windows 10. My SATA DVD burner works fine when I boot to Windows 7 but hangs when I try to burn a DVD in Windows 10. Teoparily installed an old IDE burner and it works fine in Windows 10. Just goes to show YMMV.

Jerry
    It also goes to show that you never know what may fix your issue!

Just curious, does the IDE drive work fine in Windows 7, or only in Windows 10?

Thanks
    Worked well in both systems. The IDE drive is not a permanent fix since it needs to go back into the system I "borrowed" it from. Just wanted to see if its a Windows 10 issue or a hardware issue. I think the SATA drive needs new firmware or a new driver. Still mulling over possibly buying a new drive. I read in a New Egg review of an ASUS unit I'm considering the company is working on a new Windows 10 driver for it.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast