New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 cannot rotate cell phone images properly. Is there a patch?

Does anyone know of a Win7 patch that can read the metadata on images taken by my Samsung Galaxy S6 cell phone? Dropbox and Google can do that and properly rotate my images, but Windows 7 and Outlook cannot read the metadata that distinguishes UP from DOWN such that I have to manually rotate each picture. This is time-consuming when I take 400-500 pictures with my 64 GB phone. The rotation problem has been known since 2009 (reference: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2103814?auth=1 Is there a patch that I can download? Or, perhaps a utility program that will batch rotate the images for me?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Check out Irfanview. See the forum link on the home page for a section on command line switches and scripting.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Irfanview's site warns that it has been hacked. Says to come back later, which I will do.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Check out Irfanview. See the forum link on the home page for a section on command line switches and scripting.

Joe
    ---------------
    Thank you very much. I need to wait a while and then go back to the site.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also check out XnView and FastStone Image viewer; I know I had one of them auto correcting rotation but I don't remember which...or was it Picasa? Point is, there is better software for the job than what's built into Win 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool XnView - WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Also check out XnView and FastStone Image viewer; I know I had one of them auto correcting rotation but I don't remember which...or was it Picasa? Point is, there is better software for the job than what's built into Win 7.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I tried the first one, XnView, and it is terrific! I had to wander through the OPTIONS menu to find Batch Processing. Right on the money! I take a lot of pictures, frequently, and have been manually-rotating them for the past 4 months after copying them from the cell to my computer. This utility program is great!

btw Google morphed Picasa into Google+ and then morphed Google+ into Google Drive/Google Photos which grabbed over 179,000 of my images without allowing me to pick and choose. At least with Picasa Albums I could control what Google could see.