Thanks

Black screen between the Windows splash screen and the logon screen

On my desktop PC I have 1 little nagging issue with Windows 10 and I'm wondering if anyone has seen the same thing and has come up with a solution?

When I do a cold boot of my PC it displays the Windows 10 splash screen and then the screen simply goes black. Note that it's still booting and eventually will display the Windows 10 Logon screen but it's odd that it's displaying a black screen instead of a blue screen with the progress circle of dots. Note that screen also displays a black screen shutdown and right now the only way to know if my PC is shut down is to listen for the fans and the HD to spin down.

I was out on Tom's Hardware Forum and someone there suggested that this may be a video driver issue of some sort and suggested that I remove the current driver and reinstall the driver to see if that would help. Well, AMD no longer supports that particular series of graphic cards and I suffer from fear, uncertainty and doubt (AKA FUD) that I might make things worse trying to reinstall whatever driver might exist out there for Windows 7 as right now my PC does properly boot and does properly shut down.

Again, if anyone has seen this behavior on their PC and has resolved this issue, please let me know what you did.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy451 View Post
    ...I was out on Tom's Hardware Forum and someone there suggested that this may be a video driver issue of some sort and suggested that I remove the current driver and reinstall the driver to see if that would help. Well, AMD no longer supports that particular series of graphic cards and I suffer from fear, uncertainty and doubt (AKA FUD) that I might make things worse trying to reinstall whatever driver might exist out there for Windows 7 as right now my PC does properly boot and does properly shut down...
    My Win10 desktop has an AMD HD3870 PCI-e VGA card. There was a glitch early this month when Win10 installed an "updated" VGA driver which caused the display to run in low resolution. I was able to roll back to the previous Win10 driver which works OK.

Nevertheless, the screen does go black for 10-15 seconds during both startup and shutdown.

What is the model number of your card?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    id like to say to you guys i get 1-2 MINS black screen on my probook 4530s with intel 3000 and radeon 7470m (overclocked to 975/1005 from stock 750/800). Its windows thinking theres another monitor and outputting to it, the 2 service releases that have come out have not solved the issue and amd havent released new drivers since win 10 debuted. I find it annoying and will be rolling back wo in 7 in 10 days if its not fixed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    My Win10 desktop has an AMD HD3870 PCI-e VGA card. There was a glitch early this month when Win10 installed an "updated" VGA driver which caused the display to run in low resolution. I was able to roll back to the previous Win10 driver which works OK.

Nevertheless, the screen does go black for 10-15 seconds during both startup and shutdown.

What is the model number of your card?
    My card is a HD-4850 VaporX card with 1 GB of memory - PCIE.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweakforce_LG View Post
    id like to say to you guys i get 1-2 MINS black screen on my probook 4530s with intel 3000 and radeon 7470m (overclocked to 975/1005 from stock 750/800). Its windows thinking theres another monitor and outputting to it, the 2 service releases that have come out have not solved the issue and amd havent released new drivers since win 10 debuted. I find it annoying and will be rolling back wo in 7 in 10 days if its not fixed.
    If it is simply a video driver issue and Win 10 is otherwise functioning well, is that really a valid reason to go backward? If you do back level to Win 7 how will you really know when the problem is fixed?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy451 View Post
    My card is a HD-4850 VaporX card with 1 GB of memory - PCIE.
    There are Win8 drivers on AMD's drivers page at: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download but they date from early 2013.

You could try them, but be sure to make a backup image first.

The driver for the HD3870 in my Win10 PC is shown as from AMD and dated 13/1/2015. It is the driver installed by Win10.

HD3870.jpg
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-08-15 at 23:18. Reason: add screenshot
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.