New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Actual Data Transmission Security

Im new to wireless technology. Having always had cable,or copper Dsl for Internet use. There is plenty to consider when using a wireless phone vying to redeem the qualities of computing . Here I was looking at the connection charecteristics of the wi-fi,and wireless transmission to a 'shared connection'. While there is plenty to consider here, I'm considering the tranmission charecteristics of the data connection itself.

While I set WAP settings for the wi-fi and there is a encryption connection between that short distance signal, what is the qualification of the signalling between the smart phone itself,and a data center that obviously equivalates that of using an ISP on a cable system ?

I notice that with my wi-fi connection the home page,is always opened with a SSL ,and that several web pages will utilize the SSL that I have before not seen doing so. As with running on the cable connection. I know that for example,a Browsers states in its 'About' that of the encryption strength,. And this trait is that of the connected wi-fi device utilizing a Browser.

You notice that a Windows Phone has a setting for utilizing the "Mobile Browser",or the 'full strength Browser. But with a connected wi-fi Browser,there is no such choice.

Then a Smart Phone,that is acting as a 'Internet Sharing' device (Microsoft Windows 8.1) - is this local broadcast (wi-fi_) a 'a)modem , b) router ,c) both ,d) separate. ?

Dont mean to make the subject any more difficult than the titled of my post here. Because it carries a wide area of subjects. Being so, I am simply try to recongize the interaction of my Browser to the present day web sites. So as to have as much control,and be as secure as possible using the web,Windows Phone 8.1,and the wi-fi connected computing device.

Then to compare and configure them to be so.
    Last edited by Great Gravity; 2015-08-15 at 10:58. Reason: punctuation

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Wifi encryption only works between your device and the wireless unit. This prevents others listening to your data. For encryption to be secure you must use WPA2, any other protocols can be easily broken.
    If you don't care about people listening to your data or injecting data into your device, you can use an open connection. These are often available as "free" wifi in public spaces.

SSL in your browser has nothing to do with wifi encryption. SSL is valid on any connection, wired or wireless.

A phone/device acting as a wifi hotspot (internet sharing) is a wifi router, the same as you would have at home / office.

To connect to a web site securely you should always use SSL, but not every site allows this - Windows Secrets forum doesn't.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thats Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Wifi encryption only works between your device and the wireless unit. This prevents others listening to your data. For encryption to be secure you must use WPA2, any other protocols can be easily broken.
    If you don't care about people listening to your data or injecting data into your device, you can use an open connection. These are often available as "free" wifi in public spaces.

SSL in your browser has nothing to do with wifi encryption. SSL is valid on any connection, wired or wireless.

A phone/device acting as a wifi hotspot (internet sharing) is a wifi router, the same as you would have at home / office.

To connect to a web site securely you should always use SSL, but not every site allows this - Windows Secrets forum doesn't.

cheers, Paul
    The website visited can determine the transmission type. Then. Wi-Fi is short range. Think only several hundred feet unless there is using some kind of booster . I have Firefox 40 just installed. And while there is some kind of bug to it (sais your update did not work and still shows version '40) .. I put Windowssecrets.com as a home page,and walla . Yer right, no ssl.
    Dont know if it is a trait of Firefox 40,or any other Browser that a control (right click the icon in the Address Bar before the protocal and web address ) and a Dialog box come up then shows a couple of things - stating 'this site is or is not using encryption'. ..and shows that 'this site is storing information on your computer'. Windows Secrets tried to redirect my Browser twice. And the login page for the Forum did not show a SSL address,.
    You wouldn't guess that I did have 'Google.com for a previous Homepage. Guess that describes nothing. But dealing with a web site with a presence on the web can cost some bucks in maintenance. And so on...
    Yeah I was thinking the WAP2 was giving me a reply for the immediate Internet access device. A Router hmmm...
    Thanks for reply. Truly apreciate it.
    Last edited by Great Gravity; 2015-08-16 at 11:43.