Thanks

Best Multiple Desktops for Win7

Since both Win10 and its multi desktops feature seem unfinished, any advice on what to use in Win7 while we're waiting for fixes?

I've only tried out Fences 2 MD [called "Pages"], but I find moving between the MDs, and moving icons between them, poor. I would however like any Win7 solution to work with Fences 2--can't beat the icon org and folder portals.

Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ages ago I used AltDesk (http://www.astonshell.com/altdesk/), even paid for a copy. But the development on it stopped and I switched to Dexpot (http://dexpot.de/), it's free for personal use (have it installed on my desktop and laptop) but requires a license to use for work. So for my work laptop I use VirtuaWin (http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/) which is open source. I have used all three on Windows 7, but only the last 2 on Windows 8/8.1 (in additon I used AltDesk on XP and Vista). I prefer Dexpot, but find ViruaWin an acceptable alternative.
    Last edited by cafed00d; 2015-08-16 at 16:32.

Thanks
    Nvidia also offered this option, don't know about now. I never found a use for it even after several years of linux which has it natively.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Have you tried Desktops V2 yet?
    I did 2-3 years ago. I've loved Mark Russinovitch's work for decades, but the drawbacks he mentions [thanks for that, Mark] make it unsuitable for my use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Russinovich
    doesn't provide a way to move a window from one desktop object to another, and because a separate Explorer process must run on each desktop to provide a taskbar and start menu, most tray applications are only visible on the first desktop. Further, there is no way to delete a desktop object, so Desktops does not provide a way to close a desktop
    Quote Originally Posted by cafed00d View Post
    Dexpot ... VirtuaWin
    Dexpot looks pretty good. A couple of Qs:
    1. I assume the paid version does not bring Open Candy along for the ride? I would much prefer to avoid that serious adware.
    2. In Features > Customization [on the site, not the software], it talks about Icon Distribution and says "Split up your desktop icons by subject area". Is this a Fences-like function, or simply to have different icons on each desktop?

I'll probably try Dexpot first, and give Virtuawin a spin if I'm not happy. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Nvidia also offered this option
    You got me excited there Wavy, I used nView for a few years last decade, but thought they dropped it. Sadly it's not available on GTX cards, only Quadro [workstation, high-end business].

Thanks
    I have a Gforce 8600 GT that has it. I don't know the relation to a GTX card, but it is not a real high end card.

untitled.JPG
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Gforce 8600 GT
    That came out for DirectX10 acc to NVidia site, so 2006-7 timeframe. I could have been using nView then.

Looks like I'm confused tho', nView seems to be a multi-monitor software, rather than multi-virtual desktop. I've used 2-3 monitors for 15 years, so maybe that's what I used it for.

No matter ... thanks for the info

Thanks
    I checked it out before I posted and it did give me 2 (at least) desktops!
    David