Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Microsoft wireless mouse driver update

I have a Microsoft wireless mouse, which is at least 5 years old. The driver for it is dated from 2006 and has been in use for as long as I have had the mouse. The device works fine on three different computers, a 64-bit laptop, a 64-bit workstation and a 32-bit workstation. Software includes Windows 7 Home Premium and Window 8.1 Pro.

Recently, beginning in July or August, Windows Update has been offering a driver update for the wireless mouse. At the time it was offered, I did not install it as the present driver worked fine.

Then, an automatic process jumped up beginning in August, with a whole new approach to convince one that they should install the update. This was outside of Windows Update. Part of that process was to get you to check the install option to get the new driver added to your system. Before that, however, you were given the opportunity to read the new service agreement and also provided a reference to the privacy statement.

First of all, the Windows Update offered driver update is in conflict with this new "announcement" format. The Windows Update path DOES NOT provide an opportunity to view the new service agreement and privacy statement. Second, in my case, while Windows Update was in progress, the new announcement failed in its install process (reason unknown, reason not given; no error code).

Here is the crux of the matter. The new announcement starts off like this:

MicrosoftMouseAndKeyboardCenter.jpg
    The new agreement attempts to change (retroactively) the one in effect when the original Microsoft Wireless Mouse was purchased. Is that even legal? (well, if you accept it, I suppose so)

Apparently, if you don't accept the agreement, then you don't get the driver update (or you SHOULD NOT take the driver update as that implies you accept the agreement).

Windows Update gives you the new driver WITHOUT an apportunity to view the agreement or know tha the agreement replaces, retroactively, the agreement when you originally purchased your wireless mouse.

Essentially, the new agreement is to allow Microsoft to collect data about you and what you do with the mouse. I see no functionality changes for the mouse (after all, the hardware has not changed).

Any other considerations that we should be looking at here? Has anyone else come across this scenario and if so, how did you deal with it?
    Last edited by oldITguy; 2015-08-15 at 20:08.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Clicked accept.

Did you complete the installation via Windows Update? (This bit was unclear to me: "while Windows Update was in progress, the new announcement failed".)

This mouse software is almost certainly an improvement on what you had from five years ago. For instance, it allows application-specific settings for button functions.

Even after installation, you can opt out of the Customer Experience Improvement Program at any time by going to Control Panel, Mouse, Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, Privacy and unchecking the box that says Send information about your system and how you use this software..
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-15 at 20:47.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good question. I have a very long document detailing what happened. My entry above is condensed from that.

Windows Update was in progress in that the WU selection panel was on the screen behind the new Mouse & Keyboard panel. The actual driver update was not in progress under WU.

The new announcement failure indicated it did not find a suitable device to update.

MicrosoftMouseAndKeyboardCenter2.jpg

Now, after the fact I discovered that my wireless mouse is so old (installed so long ago), that under my 8 year old 32-bit system, it was installed as a USB input device. It is not listed in the Device Manager as a wireless mouse (other systems show it to be a wireless mouse).

After the Mouse & Keyboard install failure, I went back to Windows Update and allowed it to install the driver it presented. However, since the device is noted as a USB input device, it did NOT install the new driver. Strange, why then would Windows Update offer the driver if it would not install it? Windows update showed the driver install as successful.

I will check my other systems to examine the Mouse control panel.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Further digging into the issue, across 3 systems (all 32-bit), shows the Mouse control panel (two after manual install of the software; obtained from download at the Microsoft site) for the Microsoft Wireless Mouse. However, clicking on the option to open the program, it continues to indicate that a compatible device CANNOT be found.

This begs the question: why were these systems offered the update anyway?

It may have something to do with the hardware version of the wireless mouse. Mine is 1023 (which is probably recognized as the supported version 1000 series of devices).

I also have a newer one, at version 3000. However, even this one is not recognized by the Mouse control panel as a recognized device.

Once again, this begs the question: why was the update offered when my device is not supported?

Oh, the new driver works but no differently than the old one. And, as I indicated, the new driver apparently DOES NOT offer anything new or better for these older devices. Hey, maybe that means NO data collection (I even checked that option for this last direct install; now that it is on, I can't turn off the personalization though, but since a supported device is not found, that probably makes no difference...maybe).

Anybody else with feedback on this questionable update offering?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Additional:

The same result is generated with 64-bit versions of Win7, Win8.1Pro, and Win10 (build 10240). Plugging in a Microsoft wireless mouse spawns the install of the new software. Checking auto-updates and personalization makes no difference. The new code does not recognize v1023 and v3000 of the wireless mouse hardwaare. However, as with the 32-bit systems, the newer driver is installed, though it offers no new features.

It does leave an open question: is it still collecting data on the older wireless mouse hardware? Or, is that automatically turned off due to no support for those older versions of the hardware.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think I'd be inclined to uninstall the WU and hide it when next presented and change your update settings to Check for but let me choose....

However, you can opt to stop MS installing driver updates https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2500967

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy View Post
    I have a Microsoft wireless mouse, which is at least 5 years old. The driver for it is dated from 2006 and has been in use for as long as I have had the mouse. The device works fine on three different computers, a 64-bit laptop, a 64-bit workstation and a 32-bit workstation. Software includes Windows 7 Home Premium and Window 8.1 Pro.
    I have an even earlier version for the mouse (purchased w/ Elite keyboard) and I am wondering if the S/W from the MS download site which says for W7 works w/ 8 or 10.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The question here about the Microsoft Wireless Mouse is not the installation of the driver. For Win7 and Win8.1Pro, I am using the Windows Update setting to let me view the updates and decide what to download and install (or hide should I make that choice).

The provided reference for stopping driver updates is new to me and I suspect will be appreciated by some. However, in order to take advantage of that particular avenue, you must have the device connected to the computer in order for it to show on the list under devices and printers. That isn't always a workable thing, and here is why.

One two of my systems, the install of this particular item came up WITHOUT going through Windows Update (even though the update is actually listed in WU).

You will note that Microsoft allows Windows Update to actually make updates to Windows Update itself without asking the user, telling the user, or allowing a choice to be made about any such updates to WU. This change for the Microsoft Wireless Mouse takes that path...somewhat.

The update for the Microsoft Wireless Mouse starts with a dialog that moves forward to gaining concensus from the user (it can be stopped here), and then downloads the changes for installation (there is a download progress bar). After a 3 page agreement and link to the privacy statement, you have the choice to be notified of future such changes to this driver (ie, keeping it up to date) and participation in "personalization" of data sent to Microsoft regarding you, your computer, and how you use the device. Hitting "Install" proceeds with just the driver change if those options are not selected.

If you let Windows Update perform the driver install, none of this is seen and WU can perform its magic (some people would use a different word here) even if the device is not connected.

The issue I hit is that my version of the wireless mouse is supported by the new driver but not by the software part that handles the ongoing driver update or the personalization. I get a dialog indicating that a supported device is NOT found.

Oh, wait...they recognize that I have a wireless mouse (connected or not), but at the end of the whole procedure, a supported device is not found (even though the new driver is in place for my unsupported device). So, putting a new driver in place actually happens (dated April 2015 replacing one dated from 2006) but my device is not supported for the automatic future updates or the personalization of the data collection (I think; maybe that still happens but you can't control it).

I went though this on Win10 (build 10240). You don't get to see Windows Updates here, and checking the history, this one WAS NOT installed. Yet, with the device connected (had NEVER been connected to Win10 before), the the above procedure started and finished the same way - new driver in place and no supported device found for updates/personalization.

In the future, one can expect this avenue of attack to take place for any type of Microsoft hardware that you have present (keyboards, XBOX, or whatever). The priviledge of Microsoft controlling the OS you use is apparent here.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The Mouse & Keyboard Center used to check for updates on its own. Don't know what is supposed to happen with Win10 but it appears to still check.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At best I can tell, the Mouse & Keyboard center did not exist before July of this year. It was sometime in late July or early August that I first became aware of it. I have had my two Microsoft Wireless Mouse devices for many years and never saw anything about the Mouse & Keyboard Center earlier. In particular, this code did not exist on my Win7, Win8.1, or Win10 systems until the past month or so.

In particular, on two of my systems, the Mouse & Keyboard Center notification did not come up until AFTER Windows Update had presented the driver update on its list. For a period of time, as long as the changes showed up on Windows Update, I had NOT selected those changes. Then one day, when I did check mark them for download and install, but BEFORE that actually happened, the Mouse & Keyboard Center window popped up to do its thing.

Joe: your response seems to convey the impression that the Mouse & Keyboard Center has always existed and is expected to behave in this fashion. In particular, that might be true if that code was installed as part of driver package that came with some Microsoft hardware device. The two Microsoft Wireless Mouse devices that I have did not come with this tool.

In particular, please pay attention to the following: Windows Update determined I had devices that were applicable to the driver update that WU presented. However, after running through the Mouse & Keyboard Center dialogs, that program says it could not find any supported device. Duh! It's broken OR not applicable.

Digging through the stuff on the Microsoft web pages, it apprears the wireless mouse must be at v3500 or higher. Mine are v1023 and v3000. There is no clear indication given by the WU 'more information' link that this is the case. The net result is confusion.

My best reading on the topic (some assumptions here) is that the Mouse & Keyboard Center code plus associated driver installs are there to enable data collection about the user, the computer, when and how the device is used (thus, it informs you that this will happen, doesn't necessarily ask you if this should happen).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    At best I can tell, the Mouse & Keyboard center did not exist before July of this year.
    Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center has been around for three years (when it replaced the previously separate IntelliPoint and IntelliType).

My best reading on the topic (some assumptions here) is that the Mouse & Keyboard Center code plus associated driver installs are there to enable data collection about the user, the computer, when and how the device is used (thus, it informs you that this will happen, doesn't necessarily ask you if this should happen).
    That's far from its sole purpose; it allows you to customize buttons and keys extensively.

As I pointed out before, you can opt out of the anonymous Customer Experience Improvement Program aspect at the time of installation or at any time later.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce:

You need to read the earlier posts more completely.

Mouse & Keyboard Center may have been around for many years, but as I indicted, not for me since it only showed up late July/early August. Thus, it is essentially new and its purpose in being presented to me, is still open to question.

For customizing keyboards, that might make sense. I don't have a Microsoft keyboard (though I have considered them). I fail to understand how 3 buttons and a scroll wheel can be customized much differently than how it was done before the Mouse & Keyboard Center showed up. It seems that customizing one mouse would lead to confusion and error, especially if you use several computers where the button & wheel use is pretty much standardized (just out of curiosity, just what kind of customization have you done with your wireless mouse that makes it better?) This leaves only the data collection as an objective.

Well, NO, I cannot opt out of the customer experience program, since the software tells me that my wireless mouse is not a supported device. You don't find that out until AFTER you check the personalization check-box. Whenever I attempt to open the Mouse & Keyboard Center, it puts up a huge oversize diaglog indicating a supported device cannot be found (even though the device is apparently using the new driver as indicated by the Device Manager).

Which, again raises the question, why was I offered this software in the first place through Windows Update (or otherwise), since my wireless mouse is NOT supported?

By the way, I did uninstall the Mouse & Keyboard Center via Programs and Featues. It left the new driver on-board as well as KB911895, and the Device Manager shows the new driver in place for the wireless mouse. Sadly, it also shows my old definition of the wireless mouse as an HID Input device with the old driver (it shouldn't show both).

Since my wireless mouse is unsupported by the Mouse & Keyboard Center, I will probably uninstall that code from each computer.

My thanks to everyone that had some feedback for this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Bruce:

You need to read the earlier posts more completely.

Mouse & Keyboard Center may have been around for many years, but as I indicted, not for me since it only showed up late July/early August. Thus, it is essentially new and its purpose in being presented to me, is still open to question.
    I read thoroughly. You said it didn't exist until last month.

For customizing keyboards, that might make sense. I don't have a Microsoft keyboard (though I have considered them). I fail to understand how 3 buttons and a scroll wheel can be customized much differently than how it was done before the Mouse & Keyboard Center showed up. It seems that customizing one mouse would lead to confusion and error, especially if you use several computers where the button & wheel use is pretty much standardized (just out of curiosity, just what kind of customization have you done with your wireless mouse that makes it better?)
    I customized my bluetooth mouse to disable swipe up/down gestures and vibration on the side start button as I found them too easy to trigger inadvertently:

Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center - Sculpt Comfort Mouse

This leaves only the data collection as an objective.
    Not for me. I unchecked the optional "Send information about your system and how you use the software" years ago.

Well, NO, I cannot opt out of the customer experience program, since the software tells me that my wireless mouse is not a supported device. You don't find that out until AFTER you check the personalization check-box. Whenever I attempt to open the Mouse & Keyboard Center, it puts up a huge oversize diaglog indicating a supported device cannot be found (even though the device is apparently using the new driver as indicated by the Device Manager).
    You've mentioned personalization six times in this thread, but I don't think any such check box appears in Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center or its installation windows.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "You said it didn't exist until last month."

I said that for me, it didn't exist until last month. You are trying to make a point (whatever it is) by taking something out of context.

What you did with your bluetooth mouse features doesn't change anything for my older Microsoft Wireless Mouse devices. These devices apparently aren't supported so it doesn't make any difference what one can do with supported devices.

I can't uncheck the send information about your system since my device is not supported, that function is disabled and not available for use. I said this earlier. You said you read it, but apparently didn't understand it.

Oh, personalization...my bad...the full phrase is (Join the) Customer Experience Improvement Program. Nitpicking now are we? You understood enough to comment on unchecking "send information..."

I tried to go through the problems encountered with the Mouse & Keyboard Center installation. Your responses provided no useful feedback in that area. Maybe DrWho is correct.

Thanks
    but my device is not supported for the automatic future updates or the personalization of the data collection (I think; maybe that still happens but you can't control it).
    I will be looking at that as a bonus when I transfer my set to my new box.

Good to know I can use my old hardware.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast