Lounger
    Thanks

CD audio disk windows cannot access the specified device...

I am having an issue with audio CD's. When I double click on the shortcut for my CD drive, I receive the error message
    "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." However, if I open the disk drive and close it back, all is ok, but only for the one time. I can open the drive in Windows Explorer and Disk Management all the time. There is no problem opening a data CD at any time by clicking on the desktop shortcut.

I have read numerous postings on this subject, tried the Microsoft fixit, registry editing, uninstalling the drive, checking for driver update.........all to no avail. Troubleshooter says device is working properly.

I very seldom listen to CD's so I do not know when this problem started.

I have pulled most of my hair out (5 strands) and am just before finishing them off. If anyone has a suggestion, I am game to try.

MANY thanks.

Thanks
    Charlie:

What version of Windows are you running? And is it a laptop or a desktop?

If it's a desktop:

Have you checked to make sure all cables are connected securely, both on the drive and on the motherboard?

Also, do you have a SATA drive or an IDE drive? If you have an IDE drive, try switching to a SATA drive.

If it's a laptop or a desktop:

You could have a bad CD drive. Drives are pretty cheap these days, so it wouldn't cost you much to swap the drive for another.

Good luck!

Jim

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

charliej5 (2015-08-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could have a look at these two articles to see if they'll help -

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...ix-wmp-utility

http://www.free-codecs.com/microsoft...t_download.htm

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

charliej5 (2015-08-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your responses. Here is the additional information:

I am running Windows 7 64bit Professional on a Dell Inspiron 620 Desktop
    Hard drive is Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
    Ram is 6M
    I have checked all cables and connectors

I have purchased a replacement DVD burner, but did this yesterday so it is a week or so away.

What I cannot understand is why I can open the drive, close it and it works for one time. Thereafter, I get the error message. Also, being able to open the drive in Explorer, Disk Management and right click and select open leads me to believe that there is simply some minor glitch that is the cause. However, it is an elusive glitch to say the least.

Again, many thanks for your interest.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this a short cut icon you have created yourself ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I opened Windows Explorer, right clicked on the CD drive and drug it to my desktop and selected "Create Shortcuts here."

I have also manually created a shortcut.

Thank you for your interest.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charliej5 View Post
    T

What I cannot understand is why I can open the drive, close it and it works for one time.

You mean physically open with the little button on the front?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Without knowing which fixes you have tried or which OS you are using, this one rebuilds the icon cache.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-rebuild.html

This MS Fix it is for broken desktop icons in Vista and Win 7 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ce_for_windows

While entering this in the Run box in Win 8.1 is supposed to run Win 8.1's maintenance which checks for broken shortcuts.

%systemroot%\system32\msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic

When you insert the CD does the Auto Play box not come up for you to play the CD or when you click on the CD/DVD drive in Windows Explorer ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    There are 3 ways that I have found to play the CD. First, physically open the drive door and close it. It will then function properly ONE TIME. Thereafter, error message. Second, in Windows Explorer double click on the drive and it will open to show contents. Third, in Disk Management right click on the drive and select open. It shows the contents. I have turned auto play on and off. After physically opening the drive door and closing it, auto play functions properly. Thereafter, it does nothing.
    I had previously run the Microsoft fixit and it found no problems. I just re-ran it and no problems found either reading or writing. However, I just tried to burn a CD-R using CDBurner XP and it failed. I then tried burning with Windows Media Player and it also failed.

Since I know there are problems both reading (playing) and writing (burning), I am of the opinion that the CD burner is toast. New burner will be in Monday and I will install it and post the outcome. If anyone has any additional thoughts, they most definitely are welcome. Thank you to all who have responded.