2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry What's the secret to getting Win 10?

Can someone enlighten me as to what I’m doing wrong with downloading windows 10
    or what is hindering my download.
    I’m starting to panic, because as I understand it; this free download is only valid for this month - and time is running out.
    Last night was my 3rd frustrated failed attempt.

With the first two attempts the downloading processes were instantly initiated (and at the end of each download a different error code appeared with a message saying that this download was unsuccessful); then last night (3rd attempt), after a 2.5 hr wait the ‘view progress’ area still read ‘preparing for download’.
    I even checked the downloads folder which was empty.
    And to make matters worse I went over my download limit – twice.

Any idea’s anyone – before time runs out???

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, it is available for a year, not a month.

As I understand it, it will come as part of Windows Update, not a download in the 'downloads' folder, and it will, for someone who has agreed to accept it, come in portions distributed over a period of time, and not a whopper of a download all at once. The one thing I think you may be able to do to 'speed it up' is to run Windows Update fairly often, but I wouldn't count on it helping. Others will be able to fill all of us in on the details better than I can.

The later you get it the fewer bugs it is likely to have. Early adopters are either guinea pigs or the authors of the mountain of books on it that may be rolling into bookstores as I write (I haven't checked). Now there's a field to get into.

Thanks
    @ Robko

You can avoid repeating the large downloads by using the "Media Creation Tool": http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/w...n-tool-install

Probably best for you if you choose the option to burn a DVD or create a USB installation drive (needs to be at least 4GB USB stick).

As dogberry states in #2 post the Win10 upgrade is available for twelve months starting 29 July 2015.

It seems that most reported cases of the upgrade failing have been caused by incompatible drivers; most often VGA (display). You might want to wait a month or more to allow the vendors to catch up with releasing newer drivers that will work with Win10.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input guys. Dogberry's word's of wisdom (early adopters are guinea pigs) convinced me to stay on 8.1.

Would anyone possibly know of the process for instructing the computer to abandon getting Win 10?
    Last edited by Robko; 2015-08-16 at 21:58.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears that you are already committed, but as far as I know, you will be notified that 'it is available' once you have all the ingredients, and when you install it is at your discretion. When you do install it, now or a year from now, get all of the latest updates ASAP (although you may want a backup first if it appears to be working at all).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robko View Post
    Would anyone possibly know of the process for instructing the computer to abandon getting Win 10?
    To cancel a Windows 10 upgrade reservation, follow the instructions below

"open the get windows 10 app
    click on the three horizontal bars on the top left
    select view confirmation
    cancel reservation is on the left.
    click confirm a couple of times, done"

found at Microsoft Answers online at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8edee80?auth=1

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can download the Windows 10 iso directly from HERE.

I have long used a download assistant called DOWNLOAD STUDIO. It is reasonably priced, it will speed up downloads from sites that permit it, and it will retain partial downloads if the carrier is dropped and then pick up where it left off on the next successful connection. That is software I personally recommend to anyone with a temperamental connection. I once asked about it in the Lounge and got no comments, good or bad. Do not confuse it with ‘torrent downloads’, which are considered risky business.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing of note about the month I've seen is that after accomplishing the Upgrade to Win10 you have a month to use it. Then if you don't like it you can go back to the previous version of Windows. If you keep Win10 installed past that month the C:\Windows.old Folder may get deleted, frees up some space on the HDD [Win10 hasn't been out long enough to verify that].

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the counter-problem to this situation. What's the secret of getting Microsoft to NOT send you Win10?

I have a Win8.1Pro 64-bit system, on which I have chosen NOT to reserve Win10. Despite that, Windows Update on this system just put up as the only update for consideration (even though it was optional and a recommended Windows Defender update was also available), which happend to be the the full download of Win10, which was shown as ready to install.

I did not reserve Win10 for this system! Why am I being presented a ready to install download of Win10?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy View Post

I did not reserve Win10 for this system! Why am I being presented a ready to install download of Win10?
    Marketing.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldITguy View Post
    I have the counter-problem to this situation. What's the secret of getting Microsoft to NOT send you Win10?

I have a Win8.1Pro 64-bit system, on which I have chosen NOT to reserve Win10. Despite that, Windows Update on this system just put up as the only update for consideration (even though it was optional and a recommended Windows Defender update was also available), which happend to be the the full download of Win10, which was shown as ready to install.

I haven't seen this exact situation but I've had very good luck in uninstalling Win10 Windows Update KB's. But then some of them return in Windows Update in both as Important and Optional. When they return then they need to be set to Hide Update. I also have Windows Update set to Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them. And I haven't been bothered by anything pertaining to Windows 10

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with the marketing assessment. It is truely a "nag" thing.

I simply hid that update. Now to see if they override the hide operation and/or send it again.

The strange aspect here is this happened on a computer where Win10 is already installed and running, but that install is build 10240 on the tech preview track.

I actually had it reserved at one time, but went though the process to cancel the reserve. Probably ignored but perhaps a flaw in the process.