Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Number pad on keyboard doesn't work

Running Windows 7, Home. 64 bit. Had to reinstall the Operating system because the main HD went out. Installation was successful and everything worked as it should - except - the number pad on the keyboard does not work. The number lock shows as being on, I swapped keyboards, no error messages, Device manager says everything is working. I've run out of ideas. Sure could use some new ideas. Incidentally, this is a wired keyboard.
    Last edited by artov10; 2015-08-16 at 21:03.

Thanks
    If your computer has PS/2 ports, and if you have a PS/2 keyboard handy, I'd try that.

If you don't have a PS/2 keyboard, but you do have PS/2 ports, then you could try the following, to make a USB keyboard work in a PS/2 port:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200349 -- for keyboard
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-08-18 at 11:35.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a PS/2 keyboard but with all the adapters I have, don't have a PS/2 to USB adapter. I have tried the keyboard in the front USB ports, the back USB ports and in a hub (where it was when it last worked).

Thanks for the suggestion. When I get an adapter, I'll give it another try.

Thanks
    Do you have an Fn key? If so, hold the “Fn” key down, then press the Number Lock key to toggle the numeric keypad on or off.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's easy to forget these days that PS2 devices aren't hot-swappable, so bear that in mind. Also, if you're going to use an adaptor for any length of time, an inline adapter (example) puts less strain on the motherboard. As opposed to the weight of a block-type adaptor, plus the existing connector, plus the cable, all sticking some distance out in space.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artov10 View Post
    Have a PS/2 keyboard but with all the adapters I have, don't have a PS/2 to USB adapter. I have tried the keyboard in the front USB ports, the back USB ports and in a hub (where it was when it last worked).

Thanks for the suggestion. When I get an adapter, I'll give it another try.
    It sounds like you don't have native PS/2 ports on your computer. If you don't have native, built-in PS/2 ports on the computer, then my suggestion won't work.

You could get a PS/2 controller card; but be aware that most of the PS/2 controller cards simply convert from USB to PS/2; in other words, they don't provide true motherboard-level PS/2 ports.

My product suggestion above has an error: the one which plugs into a USB port, and provides PS/2 ports for the keyboard and the mouse, won't work here. I didn't think about it at the time, but I now realize that it won't work for the solution I am suggesting.

Some laptop docking stations provide native PS/2 ports.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-08-18 at 11:33.

Lounger
    Thanks
    No, no function key. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks
    Me thinks this must be a software problem. Does the number keypad work as up/down keys" How about in BIOS? If so try reinstalling keyboard driver. Delete keyboard in Device manager and let it find the keyboard again. Try latest manufacturers driver software as a second choice.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a new keyboard - wireless. It has a Function key but toggling the number lock holding down the Fn key has no effect. (Other than changing from Number Lock ON and OFF. ) Also tried removing the driver for the keyboard. Found the keyboard again but same problem. The new keyboard has its own driver which installed. Same problem with the new keyboard. With the number lock OFF, the number keys work with their alternate functions (Home, Pg Up, etc). I must agree with Wavy - it seems to be a software problem or some setting that I have set wrong. I've tried every setting I can find - but probably have missed the one I need ! Appreciate all the suggestions and am willing to try almost anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Artov,

What Brand/Model is the Computer?
    What Brand/Model is the Keyboard?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    The computer is a home brew. It has an Intel mother board, Intel i7, 2700k,quad core, 3.5 GHz,8 MB cache, 16 GB memory, running Windows Home 7, Premium, with a 2 TB Hybrid drive, (one recently replaced). The keyboard is a Logitech Wireless, K750.
    This is the new keyboard. The old one was a Dell, wired standard keyboard. The keyboard worked before I reinstalled the OS. Need any other info, let me know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You said in post #1 that number lock shows as being on. But does that keyboard have an indicator light for number lock? Reviews say it doesn't.

EDIT: I guess it's not on the keyboard itself, but via an on-screen notification if you have Logitech SetPoint software installed:

K750 Num Lock and Caps Lock indicators
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-08-19 at 08:44.

Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a screen notification that indicates whether the number lock is on or off. Previous keyboard had a light on the keyboard.

Thanks
    Ok just to cover all bases, what happens in bios. Try to enter a time setting perhaps.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Some BIO still have a numlock "on" setting. See if altering it changes anything, if present.

So does Windows:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/numloc...up-windows-7-8

Otherwise I am perplexed since it has to be the PC or OS as two keyboards show the same behavior. Neither is recognizing the numlock key on the keyboard. None of the above should block the keyboard's numlock key from working.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-08-19 at 20:24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast