Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Windows Update Icon in System Tray

I am having a weird problem. I no longer get the Windows Update Icon in the task bar system tray area. I also don't get the familiar message on boot up that I have updates available. I had a problem a couple of weeks ago with my system hanging during startup, and a Dell Prosupport agent connected to my computer and helped me solve that issue. He basically studied the logs and then edited my start up programs several times until identifying an issue that turned out to be, I think, a Malwarebytes database problem of some sort interacting with Kaspersky Internet Security. I think I lost the Windows Update Icon somewhere near the end of the many reboots we did.

I can still access Windows Update through control panel. In fact, last week I installed a large number of updates based on Susan's column. I noticed the icon appeared while those updates were being made. However, it disappeared again afterward. When I select to customize, I have an entry for Windows Update. I set it for Show Icon and Notifications, but it does not seem to make a difference. I also tried Only
    Show Notifications, but it still did not appear. It used to come up at boot up and then move to the list of icons accessed by the little expansion symbol in the tray.

Is there some setting that might have been modified by accident that I can change? Thanks. This is just annoying as I have to proactively check Windows Updates through Control Panel to try to make sure I don't miss any important updates.

Thanks
    In Control Panel\Windows Update check the settings under "Change settings" (in the left panel).

You say you installed updates last week, so the icon/message might not show until M$ releases more updates.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. The only options I have under Windows Update are when to download and install updates. I have it set to notify me but wait to do anything. In the past I always had the icon with the extra icons accessible from the triangle in the tray. While I did install many updates from last week, there are several that were delayed and still waiting. Also, I never got the notice or icon for the large batch of updates last week. I had to manually check through control panel when I read about them in the newsletter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good day.

Well this seems to be THE forum for this problem, 3 threads about the same thing so far in a few days. I'm lucky Google indexed it quickly. So I have (had) the same issue, the "There are updates" icon in the System Tray was no longer showing but updates WERE available. For me it was caused by this one:

KB3065987 Windows Update Client for Windows July 2015

UnInstall that update, and the icon should come back. It's possible that the updated client depends on other updates that I have "hidden" and not installed, like the following:

KB3035583 Additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications (Win10 upgrade buttons)
    KB3021917 Gather data for upcoming Windows releases
    KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7 (this updates comes in several flavours)
    KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows

In any case, let us know if this fixes the problem for you.
    Best Regards.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, when I removed KB3065987, my computer hung up on the reboot. Something was happening as it did not get through the initial program loads in the boot sequence (Action Center Icon never appeared, for example), and I kept getting the busy circle at the cursor when I tried to do anything. i could not even bring up the Task Manager. I ended up booting into safe mode and using system restore from yesterday morning. Now I seem to be back where I was.

I am not sure what happened. I guess I will wait for more suggestions. By the way, I have started having problems with other tray icons, also. This morning when I booted the computer my power icon was missing. Yesterday when I started in the morning, the power icon was there but blank, as if a dead battery, when my battery is fully charged. It showed up OK on reboot. Something is happening with the tray icons and messages.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, what a bad experience, I'm sorry you had it - For me KB3065987 uninstalled cleanly, no problems whatsoever, rebooted and 2 minutes later my Windows Updates icon was back. I started a thread on the Win7 newsgroup, we'll see where it leads (interestingly, Winston responded that he saw the thread HERE about this problem, lol, the world is small).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure why I had the issue. Must be something in my configuration that was affected. I did not want to spend hours trying to find out. I did notice that a non-security update KB3075851 from last week said it was supposed to fix some issues in KB3065987. I was waiting till the end of the month as with non-security updates, but I decided to try installing that. It installed fine, and I got the message that Windows Update modified by computer. However, the icon went away as soon as the message did.

This time I tried the customize for the tray icons. When I set Windows Update from Only Show Notifications to Show Icon and Notifications, I got a message that the icon was not currently active or something like that, and it would appear the next time it was active. This suggests that my system thinks it should not be showing the WU icon, even though I have some updates waiting, including an IE security update that just appeared yesterday. So something is still off.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Marklang's problem sounds very like an aspect of my problems, which I have just posted about in the Win 10 forum: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...onthly-updates. I hope some very smart and experienced person can come up with the answers - I doubt we will get anything useful from Microsoft, they don't even acknowledge there are any problems with Win 10!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup, I saw KB3075851 and I hid it; not installing it. MS mentions it fixes something, but not the icon disappearing on regular Win7. On the newsgroups I learned that KB3065987 is about making sure the GWx (Get Win 10) icon does not appear on computers joined to a domain - which tells me they played with icon appearance and not surprised it broke the WU icon on my machine. Well, since you applied KB3075851 (the August update), has your icon re-appeared when there are updates waiting? It should be "Active" in the "Customize" options if you have updates pending...

@Tinakarori: Sorry, I dont have a W10 image to play with yet...

Best Regards,

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marklang View Post
    I am having a weird problem. I no longer get the Windows Update Icon in the task bar system tray area. I also don't get the familiar message on boot up that I have updates available.
    I have had this same behavior for a couple of weeks now (I think). It didn't start after any issue with installing updates and I haven't had issues with any other icons in the task bar system tray. I chalked it up to MS futzing around with the Win10 Windows Update process spilling over to Win7.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a Dell laptop with Windows 7 Professional X64 and have been experiencing the same problem as marklang. I got my Windows Update Notifications back by uninstalling the following Windows Updates which had been offered for my system:
    KB3065987 ("recommended") http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065987
    KB3075851 ("important") https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075851

Uninstalling one or the other did not work. I had to uninstall them both. KB3065987 isn't being offered to me anymore through Windows Update, now that I've uninstalled it. Therefore, I suppose there was no harm in getting rid of it. Both of these were updates to the Windows Update Client itself. Perhaps there's some kind of error in these Updates that Microsoft hasn't noticed yet. I phoned Microsoft, but they didn't know what to do. I'm going to keep KB3075851 uninstalled for a while, in the hope that Microsoft will fix this issue.

Would you let me know if uninstalling these two updates fixes your problem? There was one other update that I uninstalled, but I don't think it has any bearing on this issue: KB3079904. If necessary, you could try uninstalling that one too.

You will have to wait for there to be an important Windows Update available before you'll know whether your task bar icon is working again. You can check that through the control panel, as you've already done.

I'm fairly sure, marklang, that this issue is not related to the work by the Dell ProSupport agent or any setting that may have been changed.
    Last edited by Rosa; 2015-09-06 at 14:07.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pardon my basic question as I am not very technical ...

I am having the same problems and will uninstall the updates.

Should I uninstall them in Safe Mode? Windows 7? or does it matter?

Lounger
    Thanks

Restore Update icon

Quote Originally Posted by marklang View Post
    Thanks. The only options I have under Windows Update are when to download and install updates. I have it set to notify me but wait to do anything. In the past I always had the icon with the extra icons accessible from the triangle in the tray. While I did install many updates from last week, there are several that were delayed and still waiting. Also, I never got the notice or icon for the large batch of updates last week. I had to manually check through control panel when I read about them in the newsletter.
    Go to notification icons and location in comntrol panel. Scroll down to windows update and check locations selected. Check location to show icon and notification

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So I uninstalled KB3065987 ...

My Windows Update Icon is back in the system tray ... thank you very much.

But now my Windows Update History is gone. HELP

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Steve,
    Good job! Safe mode is not necessary. I'll describe the uninstall procedure for Windows 7 in case other people are wondering how to do it. Click on Start, then on "Control Panel" to open it. (You can also get to the Control Panel in other ways. That's fine. Just open the Control Panel.) Now click on "Windows Update." Click on "Installed Updates" in the bottom left of the window. Let this next window load fully. Now scroll down (if necessary) to the section titled "Microsoft Windows." You can now hunt for the updates you wish to uninstall. Right-click on the update and then click on "Uninstall." You'll be asked to restart your computer, afterwards, for the uninstall procedure to take effect.

Missing the Windows Update History shouldn't be too serious a problem as long as you can see the "Installed Updates." Can you, Steve? I don't have personal experience with the Update History becoming blank, but from my reading it sounds like this can happen when using the Windows Update Fix-it, resetting the Windows Update History, using Disk Cleanup, or even doing a restore from backup. All Windows updates installed on the computer can be found in the "Installed Updates." The Update History will start filling itself up again, although the old entries won't come back.
    Last edited by Rosa; 2015-08-29 at 09:42.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast