5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Comodo Antivirus Notices about Problems

I am transferring from an old Vista laptop to a new Win8.1 laptop. I've looked for a good free antivirus and Comodo was recommended by an article in the Widows Secrets newsletter so I have installed Comodo (with GeekBuddy) in the new laptop. It keeps popping up notices about a certain number of bad entries in the registry and a number of junk files on the hard drive and a certain number of browser issues. In each case it has a "Fix it Now" button that will cause the program to delete those bad entries.

My question is, is it safe to click on those "Fix it Now" buttons and let Comodo make those changes? I don't normally let something make changes to my system that I can't review first.

Thanks,
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's probably GeekBuddy complaining. I'd ignore the messages and remove GB.
    http://malwaretips.com/blogs/comodo-geekbuddy-removal/

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Should you have any PuPs on there, after uninstalling GeekBuddy as Paul has suggested, run AdwCleaner followed by Junkware Removal Tool just to check.

If you decide to run ADW, click on Scan and it may list some programs in the lower pane it considers to be PuPs which you can uncheck for any you want to keep.

When the scan has completed click on Log File and that will show if it has found anything and will delete after closing the Log File and click on Cleaning.

It will produce another report on what it has deleted after the reboot.

JRT doesn't give any details on what it may have deleted until it has completed and produced its report.

The link for JRT is lower down the AdwCleaner page. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

I run AdwCleaner every now and again just as a matter of course.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul T and Sudo15, I'll get rid of GeekBuddy and then do the suggested cleanup.

Thanks,
    Bill