New Lounger
    Thanks

Replaced hybrid drive

I recently replaced a 5400 rpm hybrid drive with a 7200 rpm mechanical drive on a Toshiba ultrabook for a friend. I cloned the first drive to the new one. What is throwing me is that disk management, explorer, crystaldiskinfo, BIOS....they all claim there is a second disk still on the pc, not a drive but a disk. In addition the boot up time is slower than I expected with a 7200 rpm drive. What is windows seeing? Do I need to make any changes? Thanks for your help.
    Gwing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gwina,

Could you post a screen shot of Disk Management.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

gwing (2015-08-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Certainly---thanks.

Toshiba1.JPG
    Gwing

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not worked with a hybrid drive before, so this has confused me a bit.....I ran Speccy and searched for the drive it listed.....it sounds like Toshiba installed a "flash" drive in the laptop to compliment the HDD, rather than install a hybrid drive?????? The computer is a Toshiba E45T-4200, the drive is a Toshiba E45T Series THNSNX032GTNT NGFF M.2 SATA 32GB SSD HDD MLC Hard Disk Solid State Drive module. So, if that's true (I was told the original hard drive was a hybrid, and the description on line read like it was a hybrid drive also) Will the laptop naturally cache to the drive, or do I need to do something??? Thanks again!!!
    Gwing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gwing,

I don't see a 32Gb drive in your Disk Management screen capture. Disk 1 is a 12Gb drive that I would guess is either the SSD protion of the Hybrid drive or an SD card sitting in a slot setup as a Ready Boost device. On the Toshiba page for that notebook it specifies a 500GB HDD with a 32GB Solid State Cache (System Use only). Clearly you have an almost 700Gb drive so I'm not exactly sure what in actually in the machine. I'd suggest downloading Piriform's free Speccy program and giving it a run. Then report back by selecting -Save as Text file... from the File menu and posting the results. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I replaced the 500 GB drive that was in the Toshiba with a 750 GB drive---I ordered a non hybrid drive so that is what I assume I got.
    I had ran Speccy (the pc is not in my possession at the moment) and the drive is a Toshiba E45T Series THNSNX032GTNT NGFF M.2 SATA 32GB SSD HDD MLC Hard Disk Solid State Drive module.
    I will paste a Snippet below, so...are you saying that the pc is using that on board SSD just like the old ready boost usb drives? So the pc will use that as auxiliary memory automatically and I will not have to do anything to optimize it???
    Ashley 2.JPG
    Gwing

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    More likely it's used for Intel RST. I think you enable it in the BIOS - make sure you have an image first in case it goes pear shaped.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

gwing (2015-08-18)

Thanks
    One thing you can do is allocate a drive letter to each drive that hasn't got one. You will then be able to open them in Explorer to see what they contain. If this is W10, one will be System Reserved and one a recovery partition (which wont allow a drive letter to be allocated), and that will show when the drive letters are allocated, one is probably the original manufacturers hidden recovery partition, C & D may be the original SSD and data drives, still shown as separate drives. The rest are still a mystery.
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2015-08-18 at 05:31.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

gwing (2015-08-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to thank everyone for their input.
    Focusing though on Drive 1 though.....Speccy tells me it is THNSNX032GTNT....google tells me that is a 32GB SSD module that came with the pc. Speccy and Disk Management tell me that it is 11 GB in capacity.
    So...is it failing? And if so will it harm the software? Or will the pc adjust and not use it and just be the speed it would normally be without it?
    Or, is it sorta like available RAM....only showing what is not reserved already by the system??
    Thanks again everyone for your input.
    I really need to know what to do here as the "client" is leaving the country for a while next week.
    Gwing

Thanks
    You probably have to pull up the IntelRST software and reset it to point to the current HDD and reset the caching SSD for it to work again. You might need to install the latest version of RST.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

gwing (2015-08-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks folks---I did just that...downloaded the win 10 version, cleared the cache, pointed the SSD to the new HDD. Since this is first for me though, I have several questions, if someone would help me please.
    1. Speccy and Disk Manager no longer "see" the SSD...is this a good thing or a bad thing??
    2. It was suggested I go into BIOS and enable RST.....I am remoting to the pc and can not do that right now anyway, but since it was enabled before, wouldn't it still be enabled? I did check boot order when I installed the HDD and I think I knocked the SSD down a notch in boot order, do I need to change that back?
    3. When setting up the RST, I never got the option to point the SDD to a specific partition, just the whole disk (HDD) ... will that be a problem?
    Here are some Snippetts....if someone would glance at them please....and again, Thank you all very much!!!

ssd1.JPG

ssd2.JPG

SSD3.JPG
    Gwing

Thanks
    <this comes from someone with a dislike for RST because it's needlessly installed for non-caching/RAID setups by default = 2-4 extra drivers adding pointless complexity to what should be a simple JBOD setup.>

The middle image is the only one that would cause me to double-take - it suggests that SSD caching might be turned off - which is at odds with the other two images, reboot and check - and tell us if it feels any faster (that's the most important thing).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

gwing (2015-08-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks---I was wondering that also.......will get back to you.
    Gwing

New Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow----the pc owner reports that the pc is running well and is speedy again. Sounds like to me that whatever the screen is showing, that things are running as they should. Thanks for your help!!
    Gwing

Thanks
    Yup, that sounds like it's fixed and working as it should! Good work